When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dust cap removal New Departure Model D

-

OhioJones

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Would like to know the proper way to remove this, please. Bearings are shot and I need to get in there. Never thought I would be outwitted by a hub. Ha

Much obliged.
20170214_131018.jpg

I may need to replace my cap. Left a gouge in it. :(

Found out why it was so tough after removing it. There was hardened grease in there. Almost like clay. Ha!!

If the hub is not laced to a wheel, the tool shown above the diagram holds everything in place. A lock ring tool to get the cap off.
View attachment 422475

Lock ring tool eh?

Anybody know a part # that works for the standard ND model D as well as the ND model DD? I bought a park tool unit that has a single hook on one side and three prongs on the other end and it didn't work for me on either hub. Not sure what part # it was.

Thanks
Chad

You can get by with making a sprocket removal tool out of an old clutch sleeve- anneal one, cut a slit in it and clamp it in the pipe jaws on a vise. I think even a Mattatuck or NK clutch will work. Mine is either long gone or in a coffee can in Iowa now,

Back