When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dutch made Gazelle Roadster.... maybe 1936-37?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The rack appears to be original to me, or at least an add on at time of purchase. The light appears to be a reflector, unless I missed the dynamo in your photos. I think it may be original as well. I would guess that someone added the front brake in case of a chain drop.

Correction - you were talking about the light or reflector attached to the rack, not the fender. Yes, I think that was an add-on.

I asked the original owner about the extra lights and he said that bike lights are the law in the Netherlands. I mentioned the rack light but was thinking of the one on the seat. The rack does just have the reflector.
I'll be posting more pictures as I go and will post any replies after I send out an email to Herbert.

More pictures.
The bulge on the chainwheel is a plate that it is connected to. There are markings on it but they don't help me date the bike.
A couple views of the rear axle slots.
The front brake pads that are totally shot and seem to have no place on a rim shaped the way it is.
The rear hub's only stamping
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
-----

thank you for the additional information and imagery 3-speeder.

suspect that if cycle would have had a front brake ex-works it would have been rod type.

missing mudguard emblem may have been of this pattern. genuine Gazelle emblem. (example may be too late for cycle)

a5p3s.jpg

should you elect to disassemble chainset will be interested to view additional pictures.

-----

Thank you. I have looked at that site and found some good info however some of the links on it haven't worked for me, specifically the "dating a bicycle yourself" link.

I will try to email Herbert Kuner. Thank you

I assume that link is supposed to bring you to an English translation of this page. You might try Google Translate if your Dutch is a little rusty. ;)

Thanks non-fixie. I bet you're right. Not only is my Dutch a little rusty it's about as good as the brake pads on this bike. :nomouth:

Okay I don't know any Dutch but I have been translating some of the sentences from the bottom of the previously attached document. Here's what I've got. And some more pictures.
1931 - Gazelle started using chrome components
1938 - New in 1938 is the lamp holder with the Gazelle head
1945 - All pre-war cranks have the capital letter "G" larger than the other letters and the "L's" are just two vertical dashes, after the war they have horizontal dashes under them
Like I said before I don't speak Dutch so if you do please forgive any mis interpretations. :neutral:
Now more pics...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
A big Thank You to Herbert Kuner. This bike is from early 1937. Very exciting!

Not original to it are the rear wheel, the chain guard, front braking system, saddle and lighting system and reflectors.

The 10 6 stamping on the chainwheel is for October '36.

He included an image of a 1938 J model that is similar.
image.jpg

Looking forward to overhauling the bearings and getting it tuned up and on the road.

Neat side note. Early 1937 is when my dad was born. I'm excited to show this bike to him again now knowing it's age.

Back