When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DX steerer tube length

-

schwinnduke

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,
So a while ago I bought a 41 DX frame, fenders and springer off an eBay seller, believing it was all compatible.
Turns out the frame headtube is a fraction under 5 1/2". Whereas the springer steerer tube is 6 3/8".
What to do? What should the steerer length be? I'm guessing it's at least 1/2" too short?
Any suggestions and advice would be brilliant.

I would say to assemble with lower bearing and throw a picture on your thread. This probably isn't as uncommon as u think. Sometimes when the frame has the upper cup integral with race u can switch to old style and soak up some length.

uploadfromtaptalk1514073557940.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1514073574251.jpg

Interesting. Thank you. I'm away from the bike now until new year. I'll resurrect this thread when I can get some pictures.
It does seem the steerer is a long way short though.
Would extending the tube upset the rake/angle of the spring etc?

Yeah, at some point in 41 some of these longer headtube bikes were made. I’ve had my hands on a maroon DX like yours, and I believe Wes P. has a sweet 41 canti with the longer tube as well.

You need the right fork.

Yeah, at some point in 41 some of these longer headtube bikes were made. I’ve had my hands on a maroon DX like yours, and I believe Wes P. has a sweet 41 canti with the longer tube as well.

You need the right fork.

Thanks - the whole fork assembly or would a correct steerer suffice?

So, just to clarify: the picture shows what I received (the front fender is backwards I know!), before I start hunting for another prewar DX frame to accept the springer, I just wanted to make sure there's nothing I can do to remedy this situation.
IMG-20170623-WA0011.jpg

I would have bought that frameset also. Expecting it to fit as well. Any original paint on it? I picked up my other Springer and will show pics later. Wish I knew all there is on Springer comparability. Autocycleplane and @REC probably have built more bikes than I have so I'll wait and learn something too. I'm almost sure the second Caber I mentioned is a DX xpert.

Perhaps someone stole just the original steerer tube for its locking option, and put the wrong one on there to move the carcass along for the next hobbyist. That would make your life a bunch easier, as any postwar or prewar ladies steerer tube could be modified to work. All this based on the assumption those housepainted parts have been together at some point

That would make your life a bunch easier, as any postwar or prewar ladies steerer tube could be modified to work. All this based on the assumption those housepainted parts have been together at some point
Thanks - so if I was to find a steerer (7?") what modifications would be required?
Really appreciate your help with this. No way to know 100% but it arrived all looking as though it belonged together!
Thanks
Martin

Back