When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DX steerer tube length

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Perhaps someone stole just the original steerer tube for its locking option, and put the wrong one on there to move the carcass along for the next hobbyist.
That seems highly likely... look at this picture, zero paint of sorts on the steerer. So could I modify my current steerer or find a suitable one? Would that throw out the springer geometry?
IMG-20170623-WA0018.jpg

Apologies to keep banging on this thread, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before the point of no return:
I believe Autocycleplane has correctly deduced the fact that my whole frame set is correct, but at some point in the past the steerer has been swapped out.
So, with a 5 1/2" headtube what length steerer would be correct. I know a competent welder who can extend my current 6 3/8" steerer, but to what length would be right?
Thanks
Martin

I took pics like I said I would But I just had theories. Fork on-the- left has steering tube just over 7" U compared it next to my frames and while being quite longer it looks like you could move your adjustment cone to postwar and it would be taller than prewar

uploadfromtaptalk1514500234274.jpg

Lots of variables. If you intend to lenthen your steering tube.One should expect the angle of spring to change as you say. With no parts readily available I would say buy the complete Springer with the longer tube.Or just get another fork.Klunker style

Looking at the picture with your fork next to the frame it appears the steer tube is plenty long enough. Have you tried to assemble the fork on the frame yet? I have a 1953 Phantom with locking fork, the head tube is 5 1/2" and measuring the steer tube without removing it I come up with a steer tube of 6 11/16". This is measuring to where the fork cup flange would be seated in the head tube.

Back