When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dyno hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
did this hub ever come on a schwinn?

119165138_10215400614562724_3471248205620327009_o.jpg

I've seen them on a few of the early/mid 1950s 3-speeds, mainly the Travelers with stainless fenders, bags and lamp sets. They looked to be correct on the ones I saw - no obvious evidence that the wheel was torn apart and the Dynohub added later. I can only think of a few examples I've seen and most either didn't have a lamp set or had a bottle/Miller type set up. I suppose it's possible they were an upgrade you could specially request at a bike shop rather than from the factory, but they looked on-period from what I saw of the bikes.

According to the 1951 price list, the Dynohub was available on the Traveler as a substitute for the Miller set, for $2.25. On the Paramount it was $5.35, and on all other adult models it was $6.95! My '55 Traveler originally had a Dynohub in the front wheel. English bike often used 32 spokes in the front wheel, so if yours has 36 spoke holes, it was probably for the American market.

That's a good find and helps explain why the Travelers seem to turn up with Dynohubs more than the other models. A Paramount Tourist with Dynohub would have been quite the bicycle in 1951. One of the nice things about the Dynohub today is that you can retrofit an LED bulb into the light set and get improved lighting. You need a current limiter to do that, but I've got such a set up on a rod brake roadster and it's a nice improvement over the original bulbs. A pre-1974 Dynohub with 36 holes would be a very unusual part on today's market (the silver-sided 32's from 1953-73 are fairly common though).

Back