When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1900 teens Schmelzer's bike info help please.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thread revival. I purchased this bike today, and hope to get it back on the road. Any new info?

20210828_165756.jpg

Serial numbers looked to read A-75,332?
Great Western Mfg. La Porte Indiana used Wm. Fauber chain ring sprockets, but perhaps there were others.
If the chain stays are oval shaped at the bottom bracket, then I might lean toward Excelsior (Chicago?) as a manufacturer.
Westfield bottom brackets were slightly under sized, (as were some Fauber’s).

The double straight bar or twin truss frame bicycle style preceded the double drop bar frame by a few years.
1917 Motorcycle Illustrated used the noun phrase “Schmelzer name plate bicycles” and also listed Schmelzer as a KC dealer of Johnson Motor Wheels (assoc. with…?).

Are the badge holes 2+1/4” apart?

Last edited:
Serial numbers looked to read A-75,332?
Great Western Mfg. La Porte Indiana used Wm. Fauber chain ring sprockets, but perhaps there were others.
If the chain stays are oval shaped at the bottom bracket, then I might lean toward Excelsior (Chicago?) as a manufacturer.
Westfield bottom brackets were slightly under sized, (as were some Fauber’s).

The double straight bar or twin truss frame bicycle style preceded the double drop bar frame by a few years.
1917 Motorcycle Illustrated used the noun phrase “Schmelzer name plate bicycles” and also listed Schmelzer as a KC dealer of Johnson Motor Wheels (assoc. with…?).

Are the badge holes 2+1/4” apart?
Yes. 2 1/4 in apart on badge holes

Back