When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1900's National Cycle Manufacturing bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Curiosity got the better of me last evening so before going to bed I did briefly look through the catalogs. Yes National did build a Stayer model called the "Pace Follower" beginning in 1903 and continued all the way to the end 1916. I'll post my findings regarding your National Glenn as soon as possible but may be a day or two before I have time to scan and post catalog pages. In short, I have absolutely no doubt that your bicycle is a National.

Hello Rambler

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Is this the type of badge that I am looking for ?

Many thanks,

Glenn

National Head Badge.jpg

Sorry this took so long to post, just been an incredibly busy week for me. I had very little time to research and scan catalogs for this post.

So as promised Glenn, below is the National information that I have which best fits the era of your Stayer or what National called the "Pace Follower".

I’ll begin by saying I have noticed that National’s catalog descriptions don't always match the illustrations. This has led to some speculation in attempting to determine the year of Glenn’s Stayer. For instance; even though the 1904 catalog shows the newer seat post collet artwork without frame boss, some catalog bicycle illustrations for 1904 still show the earlier frame with boss. Makes one wonder exactly when certain features were phased in or out and exactly what in the catalogs can be believed. I'm speculating that National phased in new features as old stock was used up rather than scraping anything. That may help explain some discrepancies between actual bicycles and catalog illustrations.

Speculation is what I have encountered when comparing Glenn’s Stayer to the catalogs. Glenn’s Stayer early frame best fits the 1902 catalog illustration while 1903 was the first year the Stayer configuration with straight front fork was available and 1904 is the first year the 22” frame is listed as an option. So was Glenn’s Stayer built to special order possibly as early as 1902, or was National still using the earlier design frames possibly as late as 1904? My best guess would be Glenn’s Stayer is a 1903 Model 61 Special "Pace Follower" built to order in very late 1902 or early 1903 but I’ll let Glenn be the one to decide exactly how and when his National was created.

I believe the crank on Glenn’s Stayer was an aftermarket component selected by the original owner because National seems to have never offered that particular crank in production, at least not according to the catalogs. That’s not surprising considering we accessorize our modern bicycles today to suit our desires so I’m sure they did it back then as well. Best of luck to someone 100 years from now trying to figure out my mountain bike since I have changed most of the components to my desire.

One addition observation is that National catalogs for the "Pace Follower" model always stated 28 spoke front wheels yet I noticed Glenn’s Stayer has 36 spokes in the front wheel. Again, may have been an owner modification. In any case Glenn’s Stayer "Pace Follower" is a very nice example and the only one I have ever seen built by National.

1902 - No Stayer "Pace Follower" model was offered. Closest offering to Glenn’s Stayer is the Model 52 Track Racer. The seat post collet with frame boss appears to match Glenn’s Stayer for 1902. Note: the catalog states that frame is 21” not 22” as Glenn’s Stayer and both wheels are 28” not 26”F & 28”R as Glenn’s Stayer. However catalog does state “We will alter specifications to suit the purchaser”. Does this mean it was possible to have a bike like Glenn’s Stayer built to order by National as early as 1902?

Picture1_zpsao9xgpkt.jpg

1903 – First year of the "Pace Follower" Model 61 Special having wheels 26”F & 28”R as Glenn’s Stayer. Catalog states “A straight fork is furnished when ordered”. Only discrepancies between Glenn’s Stayer and the Model 61 "Pace Follower" are the catalog states the frame size is 19” however Glenn’s Stayer has a 22” frame, was it a special order built to suit? And the catalog illustration shows the later frame design without boss while Glenn’s Stayer is the earlier frame design with boss. Though this may be explained by the fact that 1903 seems to be a transitional year with some bicycle illustrations showing the boss and others not and catalog for 1903 does not have an illustration of the seat post collet for that year. 1902 catalog shows the earlier illustration of seat post collet with frame boss and 1904 catalog shows the later illustration without boss while 1903 catalog shows neither one.

Picture2_zps5c79raiw.jpg

1904 – Second year of the "Pace Follower" now called Model 70 Special. Finally we have a bicycle that almost perfectly fits the description of Glenn’s Stayer. Optional 22” frame is available, wheels 26”F & 28”R, and a straight fork is suggested to shorten the wheelbase. Only difficulty I have with Glenn’s Stayer being 1904 or later is the catalog illustration does not show the earlier frame design with boss on this model as Glenn’s Stayer has. Possibly the catalog illustration didn't depict reality?

Picture3_zpsvocjerrn.jpg

Later years 1905 and beyond the "Pace Follower" models all look about the same as the 1904 example with only slight variations on equipment so no point in posting them all and I doubt Glenn’s Stayer could be much later than 1904 with that early frame. I believe Glenn’s Stayer is most likely 1902 - 1904. It’s very difficult to get more specific on a date since the National catalog information and/or markings on the bicycles built by National are not identifiable enough to get very specific. It’s really unfortunate that National did not stamp model numbers on their bicycles as some other manufacturers did so we could positively identify the year without question.

Tyson

Glenn, Here is some additional information that you may find interesting and possibly useful.

Your handle bar stem is clearly illustrated in the National catalog so no question it is National. I also believe the handle bars and hand grips to be original National as well, very possibly the number 2 handle bar as shown in the National catalog.

Picture4_zpsrdw8xdtr.jpg

I noticed the seat seems to be missing from your Stayer. Here is the catalog pages for 1902-1904 seats which may help for possible seat selection.

Picture5_zpszcyle4hd.jpg

Tyson

Good Evening Rambler.

Sorry for the long delayed reply.

Many thanks for this detailed response. It would seem that my Stayer or "Path Follower" is late ' 02 -' 04 .
Great information !

Might you have a "lead" for a National badge ? Unlikely but worth asking.

I would assume that this National Stayer is a rare machine being quite early . Yes ?

Again - Much Appreciated !

Glenn

Glenn,

Yes I would agree that your National Stayer is a rare machine. I have never seen another besides yours and I have heard of only one other unconfirmed as I have never seen it. Nationals in general are not extremely rare in Michigan where I am given this was the state they were manufactured. However considering the "Pace Follower" is a specific purpose racing machine it's no surprise that there are fewer of them than the more basic standard everyday cycles National manufactured.

Currently I do not know of an available National head badge but if I learn of one I will gladly let you know. I have seen them come up on ebay and at swap meets from time to time.

Tyson

Back