When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1930's Colson Rear Steer Tandem w/Modifications

-

GroodyBros

Look Ma, No Hands!
Before and after photos of an early 1930's Colson Rear (Dual) Steer Tandem.

Hard to say exactly. I'd had it for several years as one of those "someday projects" When I became engaged to be married the fiancé really wanted it as a prop for the wedding. I brought it to the house in late March/early April and started just sourcing parts for the modifications and such. Saddles, the Columbia chain guards, an appropriate rack, Torrington pedals and handlebars. Early July she started getting nervous about it. By mid July I had it disassembled and took the shiny stuff to be nickel plated. That was a 5 week lead time. During the wait I had the frame sand blasted and began powder coating it, doing as much as I could in the interim with the parts that I had. I picked up the nickel parts on the 21st of August, took it for a test ride on August 26. The wedding is Sept. 3rd, done in plenty of time. ;0)

Curious why you used Columbia chain guards over Colson pork chops? Looking fantastic regardless! Any issues when the front doesn’t want to steer the same direction as the rear?

Beautiful job. Where did you have the nickel plating done?
Acme Brass Custom Plating in Kansas City, MO. I have a friend that works there, but it didn't get me any discount. ;0) I already had the rims and hubs in chrome for a different project. When I found out how much they were going to cost I elected to use them as is. The nickel plating for everything that you see on the work bench was $1,600. Luckily, the fiancé was willing to pay for that! (She really wants the bike at the wedding!)

Curious why you used Columbia chain guards over Colson pork chops? Looking fantastic regardless! Any issues when the front doesn’t want to steer the same direction as the rear?
The Colson pork chop/turkey wings just didn't look all that great to me, rather bland in my opinion. Finding a decent set would have been difficult, didn't see them come available very often. The things are also rather pricy. Then there would also be the condition issues. I could get the Columbia reproductions at a very reasonable price by comparison, and in new condition. It took a lot of grinding and brazing to make these fit. I would have hated to do that to an original Colson chainguard.

As for the steering, the fiancé and I took it for a little test ride through the neighborhood. It's definitely a "marriage counselor". It takes a lot of communication and cooperation, especially on the turns. She's used to being on the back of the tandem without a care in the world. This was a real eye opener for her. I didn't mention that I was still doing a lot of the balancing/steering. Somethings are better left unsaid...

Back