When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 40s Curved Seat Tube Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
There isn't anything about this project that will turn heads. I just thought it might be fun to go through the process of chronicling the steps. ALL ideas or input is encouraged. The idea is to keep the cost to a reasonable minimum. That being both in dollars and in labor. The frame is a beauty. That lovely curve encourages me to go for perfect, but as I said, that ain't happening. The metal is pock marked severely. The badge is beat. It doesn't show, but the curve of the badge no longer follows the curve of the head tube. Off it came.
image.jpeg

Scrub-a-dub-dub. That's it, and no more.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A couple of passes with my favorite finish, Rustoleum Satin, or as it's also known as, (AKA) Satan!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is going take some time to dry. Once I can touch it, I'll put it in the walk-in water heater closet and let it bake.

Last edited:
There is a saying about watching the grass grow, or watching paint dry.
Guilty as charged. I started to lose my marbles. Couldn't help myself. Rustoleum just takes forever to dry, so....
I stripped the ratty badge and pulled out the Brasso! Mmmm, dats a nice!!
image.jpeg

I sure hope you carved your name in the seat tube before you Sataned it. :p Cool project.

Nice project! I love these frames. Did you fish that one out of the bay?:D Once the paint is dry you could skim coat it with bondo and make it super smooth again, it sands pretty easily and is not that time consuming. Cue the people saying "Leave it pockmarked!":eek:

You'll probably have it all done before I remove the stem wedge that's been fused in the fork of my Western Flyer version!:mad:

N

DSCN7808.JPG

DSCN7813.JPG

Nice Flyer, Nate. I've done the Bondo thing. This Columbia Standard was from the bottom of the bay. Lots of pitting. The nickel was applied over numerous coats of copper that filled the pits. I thought that this time I would just leave it.
Anyway, Back to the head tube. Does the bolt come out? If so, drill a hole in the bottom of the forks and run a drift through the center of the wedge and drive the stem out like you mean it!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Nice project! I love these frames. Did you fish that one out of the bay?:D Once the paint is dry you could skim coat it with bondo and make it super smooth again, it sands pretty easily and is not that time consuming. Cue the people saying "Leave it pockmarked!":eek:

You'll probably have it all done before I remove the stem wedge that's been fused in the fork of my Western Flyer version!:mad:

N

View attachment 461085

View attachment 461087

Wow, cool spoon brake setup on that one!

Good idea on the hole & drift idea. Right now there is just a teensy hole in the bottom of the fork. The real problem was the guy I bought the bike from had the habit of 'losing' stem wedges down the hole in his bikes as he'd never heard of PB Blaster. His solution was to stuff a wad of paper towel in the tube and put another stem in!!:confused: One of the other bikes had Civil War cannon load of stem wedges and paper towel wads in it!!o_O

Wow, cool spoon brake setup on that one!

Good idea on the hole & drift idea. Right now there is just a teensy hole in the bottom of the fork. The real problem was the guy I bought the bike from had the habit of 'losing' stem wedges down the hole in his bikes as he'd never heard of PB Blaster. His solution was to stuff a wad of paper towel in the tube and put another stem in!!:confused: One of the other bikes had Civil War cannon load of stem wedges and paper towel wads in it!!o_O
Drill that puppy. Drive the SOB out!

Back