When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 40s Curved Seat Tube Elgin

-
While the paint is hardening, I thought it would be a good time to bead blast the seat pan and springs to get the seat ready to paint. Lots of rust.
I couldn't get it all so I got some threaded rod and a few nuts.
A large roach clip allowed me to thread the nuts onto the rod inside the springs. A little stretching allowed the nuts to get wider and wider on the rod.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The Beast is coming together. The gearing is 24/11x26=57 inch wheel. Perfect for this geezer! I'm thinking of some Ape Hangers in the 19 inch range. Too tall?
image.jpeg

ND blackouts front and rear.
image.jpeg
The aftermarket Schwinn forks were a bit long for the the steering tube, so I made a spacer to take up the slack. My first try came out wrong, so I put it on the bottom. I'll pull it off if I go with fenders.
image.jpeg

Anybody know what this guard is from?
image.jpeg

Wasn't planning on fenders, but I needed a mounting place for the Winged Wheel ornament.
image.jpeg
I found a pair of jeweled pedals and a KOBASTAND. It's a Japanese copy of the old arc side stands on Chinese Roadsters. Chairman Mao revived the bike industry in China with the Flying Pigeon. It was a copy of the good old English Roadster. More than 500,000,000 have been made. The world's biggest selling vehicle. Honda's Super Cub comes in second with 60,000,000 units.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

View attachment 645074
Here are a couple more off the net.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got this Elgin close to done. The Banana went on last year and feels comfy. So do the Ape Hangers.
IMG_2353.JPG

This was today's rainy day project, a Troxel reflector and a Watsonville, California plate from the same period as the bike.
IMG_2349.JPG

Anybody know of a 3/4 26" duckbill rear fender to copy a Sting-Ray?

I'll keep an eye out for that rear fender. Does it have to be vintage or would 80s be old enough? ;)

Back