When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 50's Monark Lobdell Seat Cover

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
Anyone know what material this is covered in. Could it be leather? Is it a cloth of some sort? What would be the best way to condition it?
s-l1600.jpg

Good Morning Dave! These seats are covered in a thin vinyl type material, not oil cloth. Because of age , sun and wear, it becomes hard and brittle. The material is easily cracked.
These saddles were cheaply made. They are single pan. The fabric is placed over the metal with little backing and looks like they were machine molded over the edges and secured with an adhesive. That seat dates to the early fifties. Go to a fabric store and look through their stock, I'll bet you find something close. I have recovered this particular saddle before. It is harder to re.cover because you don't have the second pan to pull the material's edges in tight.
IMG_2906.JPG

I've had several 50s Monarks and all of them had this same style saddle.

Dumb question: Other than make it look cleaner, do you think white shoe polish might do anything to revive some of the surface cracking?

Back