When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early '70s Sears 20 inch bike

-

Kevin LeRoy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,
Can anyone here tell me who made bicycles for Sears in the early '70s? I have my very first bike which is a purple 20 inch with the slick rear wheel, banana seat with sissy bar and chopper handlebars. My parents bought from Sears I think in 1971 and it has a Sears head badge, but it sure looks like a Schwinn to me. It's all original even the tires. Curious to know if it has any value apart from sentimental and worth hanging on to? Thanks!
Kevin

Hello,
A picture of it would go a long way. I do know that Sears sold some Huffy bikes badged as Sears around that time period (I had one myself). But there are a lot of people with much more knowledge than I have. If you can throw up a picture you will most likely have more information that you could imagine.
Also putting this in the Stingray and Muscle Bike section might get more results

JimK

Hello Kevin,

I suspect your bike looks something like the one in the middle of the image below? If so, I believe it was manufactured by Murray then badged as Sears.

1970 Sears.jpg

PS: Don't tell your parents that you now know how much they spent on your bike...LOL

As for current value, condition goes a long way in determining value. You would need to post some good photos of your bike today for CABE members to take a stab at determining current value. But I would venture a guess that today it is probably worth somewhere near what its 1970's value was but possibly more or less depending on condition.

Hello Kevin,

I suspect your bike looks something like the one in the middle of the image below? If so, I believe it was manufactured by Murray then badged as Sears.

View attachment 645951

PS: Don't tell your parents that you now know how much they spent on your bike...LOL

As for current value, condition goes a long way in determining value. You would need to post some good photos of your bike today for CABE members to take a stab at determining current value. But I would venture a guess that today it is probably worth somewhere near what its 1970's value was but possibly more or less depending on condition.
Hi,
Thanks for the info! My bike looks almost exactly like the middle bike minus the hand brake. Will post some pics when I get a chance to move it out of the garage, not a high priority, I was basically just curious.
Kevin

Back