When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Atherton Hub, disassembly

-

yan.kun0567

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,

today I found this Atherton Hub on a German oldtimer fair. Now I would like to disassemble it, because the old grease got quit hard and everything on the inside is tucked togehter (currently no free wheel). I think I need to remove at least one of the bearing cups. Does anybody know the thread direction of these? Looking at the scratches on the hub, it seems loke the previous owner wasn't sure about this too. Thank you!

CF0976C9-7202-446E-BF53-290A8D4E40C5_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi, thanks! The picture shows a later version, however I managed to take the hub apart. Right side was a right handed thread, left side a left handed. The free wheel is now free again, but I'm curious for how long because from my point of view, adjustment is less than ideal. May show some pics later, whats inside and whats strange.

Hi,

this are the parts in question. The cup for the bearing is put on the cone with the sprocket. Than the threaded part is put on top of the cup. The small silver ring ensures, that the threaded part can't come off. But the setup is quite sensitiv. Turn the silver ring a little bit to far, and free wheel is locked because the bearing is squeezed. There ist no possibility to lock the silver ring in place. So I can imagine that over time the silver rings will lock the freewheel by being accidentally tightened due to friction of the parts moving around it. Otherwise the hub is constructed very solid and very accurate. Once in place, you can't see a seam between the bearing cups and the hub shell.

IMG_7483.jpeg

IMG_7481.jpeg

I think my Hub is missing a crucial part, which locks the ring in place. I've found a part list for the German counterpart "Atlas".
It seems like, that Durkopp did not simply produced the hub in license, but also changed the design a little bit by downsizing the brake shell and adding small brake rings to improve breaking performance.
Also a small screw is mentioned (A246) which I assume is used to lock the ring A252 in place.

Another owner of the same hub here in Germany just told me, that his ring was "self locking" because of a conical thread. Seems there were quit a few revisions of this hub :)

Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 16.45.49.png

Back