When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early bmx converted stingray

-

birdzgarage

cruisin my 80s bmx bikes

70 stingray. Converted to a bmx bike long ago.even has freewheel conversion.as found by @rustjunkie in the Monrovia ca area.i bought it from him and all I did was find a replacement front tire and tube.it rides actually.i will always keep it in this unrestored condition as its a small piece of socal stingray and bmx history

Last edited:
Super cool. I remember converting a Bendix coaster brake to freewheel was the HOT trick for a little bit. I guess that makes me OLD.

True old school, I love it. I’ve never seen a brake mounted like that. Can you post a close up of the brake please?

had one very much like that in Purple when I was about 13.... original fork though. I remember a ride to the gravel pits where coming down from a jump I bent the heck out of my seat post and had to ride home standing up. gave it to a friends little brother when I was about 16. :( if not for that I bet I would still have it.

I remember when BMX was starting...we went to the local Schwinn store and they had a Stingray "conversion kit" for $14.99 I think. The kit included one pair of knobby tires, bars, pads, 10-speed seat and plastic number plate. The tube fork and handbrake came a little later...very fond memories!

Back