When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early bmx converted stingray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here are our versions. This is September 1974.

SOo RAD! The 26 incher was way ahead of it’s time and the Mustang with bike racks...yeah!! Is that a 24 incher next to the Stingray? Any more pics like this?? We’d all love to see them.

Here are our suspension bikes from around 1975. Both are 24".

BMX Poster 48.jpg

BMX Poster 49.jpg

Last edited:
Here are our suspension bikes form around 1975. Both 24".

Those are wild! Looks like the derailleur on #3 acts as a chain tensioner? #1 front suspension is unusual to say the least. Kind of like a Greeves motorcycle. Did you have anything to do with building these beautiful beasts.m?

Yes, the geometry was wrong but I could not easily get the pivot point closer to the crank centerline than I did. My uncle in Wichita and I machined the parts used on the mono shock and Dad helped my brother and I build the suspension on the front. It was modeled after a DKW MX motorcyle of the time, around a 1972 to 1974 version. The monoshock is still in St. Louis; the other i think we removed the front end and went with a regular folk again. But, I have picture with it at the same race posted above.

BMX Poster 5.jpg

Color shot of the mono shock. I only had a few minutes at a funeral to look through the photo album and clearly, I took sucky shots of the photos we took back in 74 and 75. I think the second one is our winnings that day but I sure do not remember getting that much good stuff. It was so much fun to have a real track to race on.

fullsizeoutput_4e21.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4e2d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4e40.jpeg

Color shot of the mono shock. I only had a few minutes at a funeral to look through the photo album and clearly, I took sucky shots of the photos we took back in 74 and 75. I think the second one is our winnings that day but I sure do not remember getting that much good stuff. It was so much fun to have a real track to race on.

View attachment 1349023

View attachment 1349025
nice mustang !!

That 70 Sting-Ray is so perfect. Gorgeous bike.

We converted our Sting-Rays back in the early ‘70’s. We called them “dirt bikes.” We didn’t wear helmets. We didn’t have phones, either. Kids today have no idea what they missed.

furyus

Back