When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Columbia Pedals 1888-1892 - Course 101 - Mike Cates, CA.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mike cates

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
EARLY COLUMBIA PEDALS 1888-1892 - COURSE 101 - MIKE CATES, CA.

This is in response to New Mexico Brant's posting on 1885 Columbia Pedals of Sat 04/29/23 but his post was closed after the sale so I couldn't respond:

PLEASE COPY & PASTE THE FOLLOWING IN YOUR FILES OR KEEP RECORD OF THE BELOW (YEARS OF MY RESEARCH) AS ONE DAY YOU'LL NEED THIS:

I have attached photos from Brant's closed posting to clarify and thanks Brant for giving me the OK to repost your photos.
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

These style pedals started with the 1887 Columbia high wheel bicycle with the 3 overlapping pedal throw holes on the crank arms and continued 1888-1892 on Columbia high wheel models that had slotted hole crank arms. Also correct for Columbia safety bicycles of the 1888-1892 era. And used on the circa 1890-91 Elliott ladies and gents safety bicycles that had wooden spokes and felloes that employed Columbia parts and also Kirkpatrick saddles. Columbia pedals were again used on Columbia's other brand "Hartford" safeties of the late 1890's.
There are also Columbia pedal of these eras that had a sealed domed and screw driver slotted end dust cap as an improvement for keep the outer ball bearings clean from dirt.
You'll notice that pedals of these eras (no matter what brand American or European manufactured) had raised side plates or spikes on the inner and outer pedal plates to hold the width of the riders shoe soles.
The stamped outer pedal plate patent date of '85 and the script COLUMBIA were prominent on original Columbia ball bearing pedals for their run from 1888-92 on all model bicycles (high wheel or safety) types and Elliott and Hartford brands where Columbia supplied them with pedals.
All the above pedals were available in certain years in a standard width between pedal outer plates of just under 4" (since people were smaller in stature having an average width shoe of size "A" in those days) and catalogs state that wider widths were available in certain years as well.
Ask any high wheel rider today do their size "4EE" width New Balance tennis shoes fit between the outer pedal plates and the answer will more than likely be "NO".
Today's high wheel riders usually place the inside sole of their shoes against the inside of the inner pedal plate (crank arm side) and let the outer bottom of the sole rest on top of the outer raised side plate or spike when riding.
Also is the rubbers are original there will be molded into the white rubber COLUMBIA DOUBLE GRIP and a PATENT DATE on another side of the square pointed shape so look for these closely.
Authentic exact reproduction white pedal rubbers with this script molded in for COLUMBIA (and also available for VICTOR OWCO) can be purchased from Wheelmen Allen Polhill in Illinois (815) 225-7986). Allen was fortunate enough to find decades ago excellent surviving examples of both Columbia and Victor pedal rubbers to make his master molds from. His formula for the rubber compound and color is spot on. He has a process that he uses where he cures the filled molds in an oven to make it supple enough to grip your shoe soles and also last over time (I've had a pair for nealy 40 years now and they're still like the day I got them from Allen). These are as perfect as could be hoped for with fine detail of molded in script, shape and size. Frankly, I suggest buying a pair of both Columbia and Victor pedal block rubbers from Allen and put them away for the future for "finds" and/or "restoration" work. Allen has supplied The Wheelmen for decades and I have purchased numerous sets from him and craftsmen like him may not keep this going in the future.

Nice pair of pedals Brant!

Mike Cates, CA.

Last edited:
Dave,
Those reproduction pedals look great!
Just sold off most of the bike collection and the new owner may need some of these for high wheel and safety bikes.
PM me your price and lead time to make.
Good to hear from you.
Mike Cates, CA.

great info
any pictures of those rubber blocks
might ask Allen if he can make some Gibson rubber blocks with actual rubber
I have some NOS blocks to copy from

Dave,
When I was out digging in my stuff I came across a length of orphan round grooved pedal rubber you mentioned in your previous comment. It measures 16" long (so you can make a pair of pedals out of it) and it is approximately 1 1/16" in diameter. It has 8 flat top raised ribs. This had to be from when Dave Metz was selling it by the 16" length and I've had it for decades. Funny how stuff turns up like this. Oh well just the norm from collecting for a long long time.
Mike Cates, CA.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Dave,
When I was out digging in my stuff I came across a length of orphan round grooved pedal rubber you mentioned in your previous comment. It measures 16" long (so you can make a pair of pedals out of it) and it is approximately 1 1/16" in diameter. It has 8 flat top raised ribs. This had to be from when Dave Metz was selling it by the 16" length and I've had it for decades. Funny how stuff turns up like this. Oh well just the norm from collecting for a long long time.
Mike Cates, CA.

View attachment 1844014

View attachment 1844015
Ed Lee has rubber like this, He also has it in the later Columbia pattern, extruded. I think it is like $30 for enough to do a set of pedals plus shipping

I wanted to add a little clarification for posterity here also. The pedals in the original post in this thread are accurately described as 87 and later. The pedal frame design first appeared in 1885 on the Columbia Light Roadster, but with the earlier round style rubber. Here is a page from the 85 catalog. This is an 85 LR with the later style rubber though, so maybe the catalog cut is wrong, or it was changed mid year

85 pedals.jpg

85 LR PEDAL.png

I made a set of Columbia Ball-Pedals in the late 1970's with the hardened external ball cases and it was an interesting project. Thanks for posting the catalog photos Dave.
As to white round grooved pedal rubber, Ron Miller is not making pedal rubbers anymore so I guess I'll try Ed Lee OR if anyone has some? I only need just over a 5" length to make two 2 1/2" long coasting peg rubbers out of.
ANYONE GOT SOME???
Mike Cates, CA.

I made a set of Columbia pedals once with the external ball cases and it was an interesting project. Thanks for posting the catalog photos Dave.
As to white round grooved pedal rubber, Ron Miller is not making pedal rubbers anymore so I guess I'll try Ed Lee OR if anyone has some? I only need just over a 5" length to make two 2 1/2" long coasting peg rubbers out of. ANYONE GOT SOME???
Mike Cates, CA.
I think Ed's will be too fat for that, but he has the pedal sized

Back