When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Corvette Find

-
So she’s not finished, but it was a beautiful evening so I rolled her out of the garage so I could take some glamour shots. And a quick ride around the block.
5374C5E5-91E1-41D9-A455-E4B2C4E0E811.jpeg
35CFE27A-8EBE-43CE-A84E-28729E3D6B28.jpeg
2DA5499C-E611-4AA0-B718-3E7ED165ECAE.jpeg
53D7F678-E4CF-4C55-AB46-33E3C27A93F4.jpeg
E2E69DB0-0550-4E40-9895-0AA1D9B87BAD.jpeg

I still need to install the S&A thumb shifter and cable, the front fender is missing the bracket that attaches to the brake mounting, and she needs a bit of polishing, but otherwise she’s good to go. I know the purists will tut-tut over the rack and headlight being incorrect, but I’m on a TIGHT budget right now, and I got these items CHEAP. I also need a replacement rear fender, as these are from a mid-sixties middleweight, and a keen eye might see that it doesn’t fit quite right, but again, the price was right.

She's now very presentable and fit to be seen out and about. Looking good! 😉 Not sure if you heard or read about the middleweight frame change that came about on the 1959 models. This change created an issue with the rear fender mounting position, so you'll need a fender off a 58 or earlier.

She's now very presentable and fit to be seen out and about. Looking good! 😉 Not sure if you heard or read about the middleweight frame change that came about on the 1959 models. This change created an issue with the rear fender mounting position, so you'll need a fender off a 58 or earlier.
I seem to remember reading about that on another middleweight thread, but these were too good a deal to pass up, and I figured I could make them fit for the time being. Now I know better, so back to eBay I go.

I seem to remember reading about that on another middleweight thread, but these were too good a deal to pass up, and I figured I could make them fit for the time being. Now I know better, so back to eBay I go.

Maybe someone here can help out. Post in the Wanted section in the classifieds or search in the parts section. Lots of Cabe members in Cali. Fenders seem to cost a fortune to ship too. I just won a real nice 60's Corvette chain guard on eBay for less than $15 and the shipping cost more than the guard.
With eBay, most of the sellers have no idea what they are selling so there's a good chance things could go wrong. If I remember right, there's like a 3/4" difference in the top mounting area.

Our local bike shop had a Fix Your Own Bike Day last Saturday, so I took the 'vette down and finally got the gear shift dialed in. Rides like a damn dream! Thanks to everyone at Tower Velo Cycle! And @coasterbrakejunkie1969 to answer your question, the CSTs ride great and look fantastic, a nice change from all the brick-pattern tires you see, IMHO.

311979427_10227096580590866_4490091787155416345_n.jpg

Our local bike shop had a Fix Your Own Bike Day last Saturday, so I took the 'vette down and finally got the gear shift dialed in. Rides like a damn dream! Thanks to everyone at Tower Velo Cycle! And @coasterbrakejunkie1969 to answer your question, the CSTs ride great and look fantastic, a nice change from all the brick-pattern tires you see, IMHO.

View attachment 1715348
I picked up a couple sets myself.

Since you already have the bracket, a set of truss rods would look nice on that Corvette.
I like this idea. I was thinking about a set of 'rods for my DX, but maybe stick 'em on the Corvette until I can find a reasonably priced set of fenders for her.

Believe the truss rods for middleweights and balloon tire bikes are of different lengths. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in. The middleweight rods can be tough to find. Not many models featured them, and I believe they were discontinued on the middleweights in either '61 or '62. All that being said, I think a pair would look great on your bike.

Back