When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Corvette Find

-

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I've been around Schwinns since my folks gave me a yellow Pixie for Christmas back in the mid Seventies, but this is my first real venture into the world of Vintage Bikes. Found this poor thing on OfferUp-- listed as a 'Sixties Shwinn'. Wasn't all that interested, but decided to go take a look since the woman selling the bike only lived a few minutes from my home. After checking it out I decided to pull the trigger and bring it home. I checked out the serial number, and thought I had a mid-year '57. But after posting some pictures on a Facebook Schwinn page, one of experts on that page (I believe he goes by the handle GTs58 over here, and a huge thank you to him!), came to the conclusion that based on the seat & seat clamp, brake levers, chain guard, pedals, and hub date, that what I actually had was a very early production Corvette.

thumbnail_IMG_5382.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5383.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5381.jpg

294692088_10226694239732596_4015077473216811605_n.jpg

294618285_10226694585141231_2562389116108158935_n.jpg

At this point my plan is to simply recondition it and make it rideable. Any information or suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Sweet find, good luck with it should clean up real nice. As long as it shifts correctly leave that hub alone just a few drops of light oil.
He is on here same handle, really knows his stuff along with a bunch of other members always someone with an answer. Do your best to search answers from previous posts. It can be frustrating but hang in there.

Welcome to the Cabe! 👍

Glad to hear you're going to clean up and get that Corvette rideable. Lot's of info and pictures here and you can do a search by clicking on Search Forums in the upper tool bar. There is also a Schwinn section All Things Schwinn at the top of the main page. When you're ready for tires, I suggest using the new F&R brick tread white walls. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/new-s-7-brick-tires-by-an-old-manufacturer.166556/

Have fun, and keep us updated on that 54 Corvette.

Welcome to the Cabe! 👍

Glad to hear you're going to clean up and get that Corvette rideable. Lot's of info and pictures here and you can do a search by clicking on Search Forums in the upper tool bar. There is also a Schwinn section All Things Schwinn at the top of the main page. When you're ready for tires, I suggest using the new F&R brick tread white walls. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/new-s-7-brick-tires-by-an-old-manufacturer.166556/

Thanks for the tire suggestion, however I wanted something different, so I purchased a set of Sunlite whitewalls with a diamond pattern— which were advertised as being copies of the BF Goodrich Silvertowns.

Thanks for the tire suggestion, however I wanted something different, so I purchased a set of Sunlite whitewalls with a diamond pattern— which were advertised as being copies of the BF Goodrich Silvertowns.

Never seen or heard of those tires being reproduced for the S-7 rims. The Schwinn rims take a specific sized middleweight tire that is made just for the S-7 rims. The ISO is 54-571. Do you have a link for those tires?

Those must be the CST made tires that has the Goodyear style tread. Sunlite is just a retail distributor sticking their name on everything.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Cabe! 👍

Never seen or heard of those tires being reproduced for the S-7 rims. The Schwinn rims take a specific sized middleweight tire that is made just for the S-7 rims. The ISO is 54-571. Do you have a link for those tires?

Those must be the CST made tires that has the Goodyear style tread. Sunlite is just a retail distributor sticking their name on everything.
I bought them on eBay, and they’re definitely S7 tires. Here’s a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374170089323?campid=5335809022

I was thinking of buying a set to see how they look and ride. I don't mind varying from the brick on some of my bikes and mixing it up.

What's funny is, sometimes those tires are for sale everywhere and then all of a sudden they can't be found for months. I have an old set from the 80's I believe, but they are blackwall so I replaced them with some cheap whitewalls.

Back