When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Corvette Find

-
Did Chevrolet trademark it? The Corvette name was first used by the French in the 1670s as the name for a small fast naval vessel.

View attachment 1667998

While doing a search on a WWII subject, I came across this video about the German U boats. Looks like the Brits had Corvettes when they entered the war and these were used in their U boat seek and destroy missions. Unbelievable how many ships the German U boats sent to the bottom.

Started adding some new decals today, since I tragically managed to wipe off what was left of the originals in my exuberance... took some 0000 steel wool to 'em, knock down the shine and age them a bit to match the rest of the bike.

thumbnail_IMG_5549.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5550.jpg

Anyone out there still reading this thread, any good sources for early Corvette Weinmann brake cables around? I’d really like to replace the ones on the bike as they are quite tatty.

D555807C-A9B5-4701-9B57-F3338414C7DB.jpeg

8D4D275A-A0CE-42E6-9679-BAC9CF76BC42.jpeg

The Weinmann Schwinn cable is still around NOS on eBay, but not near as often as a couple years ago. The lightweight large hooded lever cable is pretty common and the tourist lever cable not so much. Front Tourist lever cable pops up quite often, but the rear is hard to find. There are plenty of other choices too. The Road Bike cable has different cable ends and the rears will say split casing and that's also common for the lightweight tourist levers. The two types of levers are large hooded and that's for the drop bar bikes, and the tourist levers are what the middleweights and lightweights have. There are plenty of sellers with grossly overpriced merchandise unfortunately so don't get burned. Here's a reference for the drop bar large hooded lever cable with the barrel cable end.

1659588964720.png

The Weinmann Schwinn cable is still around NOS on eBay, but not near as often as a couple years ago. The lightweight large hooded lever cable is pretty common and the tourist lever cable not so much. Front Tourist lever cable pops up quite often, but the rear is hard to find. There are plenty of other choices too. The Road Bike cable has different cable ends and the rears will say split casing and that's also common for the lightweight tourist levers. The two types of levers are large hooded and that's for the drop bar bikes, and the tourist levers are what the middleweights and lightweights have. There are plenty of sellers with grossly overpriced merchandise unfortunately so don't get burned. Here's a reference for the drop bar large hooded lever cable with the barrel cable end.

View attachment 1674387
I’ve seen several of these on eBay, and was wondering if the tourist model would fit the Corvette. Thank you again for your expertise! If you’re ever in Fresno area, you’ll have to let me buy you a beer.

The Tourist lever cable is what your looking for. Just make sure the rear cable casing is not split, two pieces. The packages of the spit casing will have three length numbers. You're looking for one with two lengths, one for the cable and one for the casing.

Back