When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Corvette Find

-
I like this idea. I was thinking about a set of 'rods for my DX, but maybe stick 'em on the Corvette until I can find a reasonably priced set of fenders for her.
Yes westwildcats is correct Balloon tires used the thinner 3/8 wide slightly longer rods. The newer style 1/2 inch tapered to 3/8 are all over the place. They make Schwinn approved sets available from bicyclebones. They never remade the older thinner ones they are harder to come by for sure.

Yes westwildcats is correct Balloon tires used the thinner 3/8 wide slightly longer rods. The newer style 1/2 inch tapered to 3/8 are all over the place. They make Schwinn approved sets available from bicyclebones. They never remade the older thinner ones they are harder to come by for sure.
Well, that's no fun.

Since I could never find a set of fenders for my 'Vette that I could be guaranteed would fit, I went another route. I bought a whole 'nother bike.

thumbnail_IMG_6688.jpg

It's a '56, and appears to be all original. I'd been watching it on the Book of Face Marketplace for quite a while, was surprised that it wasn't selling. When I sat down and crunched the numbers, it just made too much sense not to pull the trigger. So last week I drove to Bakersfield and picked it up.

So now I have a set of fenders that I KNOW will fit my bike-- and they're so damn clean!

thumbnail_IMG_6720.jpg

I also got a nice Mayweg rack (short tong, damnit), and a Delta headlamp in the deal.

thumbnail_IMG_6722.jpg

And now I have a very nice wheelset (with nice Westwind tires!) for my newest project, a '59 Jaguar.

thumbnail_IMG_6723.jpg

And a bunch of parts left over that I can sell to help recoup my cost. Though maybe not the fork, damnit, wondered why it looked a little funny in the pictures! Perhaps that's why it wasn't selling.

thumbnail_IMG_6726.jpg

So after all that time and trouble, all that searching, I realized I didn't like this bike with fenders. I think it's partly due to the CST tires I have, they look too damn cool exposed, they shouldn't be hidden under chrome lids. So I yanked them back off, but kept the rack in place. Yep, fenderless looks gooood. Anyone need a set of first-gen Corvette fenders?

thumbnail_IMG_6802.jpg

So after all that time and trouble, all that searching, I realized I didn't like this bike with fenders. I think it's partly due to the CST tires I have, they look too damn cool exposed, they shouldn't be hidden under chrome lids. So I yanked them back off, but kept the rack in place. Yep, fenderless looks gooood. Anyone need a set of first-gen Corvette fenders?

View attachment 1747265
I'd keep them. If you ever decide to sell the bike, pass them along to the new owner. Good fenders aren't getting any easier to find.

Back