When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Elgin lightweight?

-
Gotta love fisherman. Too lazy to do the work to figure out what they have.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So, I went through this bike to find the forks and fenders to be narrow and don't accept 26" balloons. These 28" x 1.5" clad wheels and tires fit properly.
The decal on the front down tube says "twinnbar" like the Columbia versions of the Blackhawk. Was there a 28" Falcon???. It would look great with the tank and front goodies. Haven't been able to find it yet in the literature.

As for the tire date code on a set of Allstate 26" 1.375" tires. Can anyone decipher the date?? Apparently the code repeats every 10 or 12 years, and with my term grade edumication, I can't figure it out.
I intend to sell these tires and wheels.

Thank you

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Really neat Chris! Great job getting the house paint off and uncovering the Twinbar decal. I would advise against selling the wheels and tires until you can determine if they are in fact original equipment. It would also be interesting if you could date code the rear hub but I am not very familiar with Musselman dating. Maybe this warrants another look?

@catfish
@keith kodish

Really neat Chris! Great job getting the house paint off and uncovering the Twinbar decal. I would advise against selling the wheels and tires until you can determine if they are in fact original equipment. It would also be interesting if you could date code the rear hub but I am not very familiar with Musselman dating. Maybe this warrants another look?

@catfish
@keith kodish[/Q

Last edited:
Regarding the tire code, the dots reset with every decade, other markings on the tires would help to determine which decade 30s 40s etc. Off hand these dont look mid decade, I can help you more on Monday.

Regarding the tire code, the dots reset with every decade, other markings on the tires would help to determine which decade 30s 40s etc. Off hand these dont look mid decade, I can help you more on Monday.

Thank you. They have the # 180434. I was using a 12 year cycle due to the 12 quarters in the 3 circles but ??
FYI, Here's a pic of the bike cleaned up with the 26" wheels that came on it. Holding air and riding.

Last edited:
Back