Early Frame of Uncertain Origin...Rollfast?

This ad disappears when logged in

mazdaflyer

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 16, 2010
Mid-West
An eBay aquisition, frame, fork, stem, bars, headset, crank sprocket and Rollfast headbadge with marginal powder coat finish. I added wheelset, tires and saddle. Have skiptooth chain which I need to shorten, undicided on pedals.
Any frame i.d. infor would be appreciated...

Shimano hub with skiptooth adapter gear

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 26, 2011
Plymouth, Michigan
We were talking about this one when it was up on ebay--I don't remember what the verdict was. Looks Westfield-built to me but these diamond frames all look about the same to me.

I liked it right away when I saw it online (thought about bidding myself) and I love the look you gave it! Nice work.

rustyspoke66

Staff member
Feb 2, 2010
Spokane, WA
I've seen a Sears Master from the teens with the same front fork. The ridge on the side of the fork blades and the fork crown would have originally been nickel plated. Cool bike and I think it was a good deal. like jprmo said, these old diamond frames are kind of tough to figure out.

Last edited:

JAcycle

May 25, 2006
Oakley, United States
rollfast?

I have an early Rollst ('33-'34 ) and from what I'm seeing, the chain tension screws are 1/4" as opposed to 3/16". Also the head badge has hoizontal rivot pattern w/ no rivots and no holes in frame. Other wise it is a nice rider.Just my 2 cents.

chitown

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 21, 2010
Prospect Heights, United States
Drop outs look Mead designed also.

http://www.google.com/patents?i.d.=...PA1#v=onepage&q=mead ininventor:lewis&f=false

View attachment 34086 View attachment 34087 View attachment 34088

I'm guessing the sprocket on yours is not original... but getting a correct one would depend on what year your bike is. Sheldon Brown's bike has a skip tooth dated to 1916 and the sprocket shown in the patent is dated 1919. All depends on what you want to do with it. Too bad it looks so good just like it is. Makes it harder to want to think about restoring it as original while the bike is screaming RIDE ME! Congrats on a sweet ride though either way.

mazdaflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Mid-West
Electra Amsterdam

Beautiful bike!! What size tires are those and where did you find them in all white?
They are 700c x 40, they are a China made tire used by Electra on their Amsterdam bicycles. Found at LBS for half the price of those on Amazon.com. They are an off white cream color.

sam

I live for the CABE
May 24, 2006
San Antonio, United States
The ribbed fork is a british pat. fork design. It is called the interal trussed fork.Thay are bery strong forks and your bike looks really great.I know it's a hip(ed) up modern maybe city type bike bit it really shows what can be done with an antique frame.Not made any better---Internal lugged too--has the fish mouth flaired tube ends where the joints are---great lookin bike

mazdaflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Mid-West
Mead...Peerless

View attachment 34313

Since Sears offered the Peerless badged bike, the only question might be what manufacturer did they source for their frames? The similarity with the Peerless and the Mead of the same era are pretty darn close except for the chain ring.
In the Sears Peerless image the chainring design looks identical to what I have. The Mead patent drawings for the rear dropout and fork tube and head seem to match my bike. The Sears Peerless fork image appears to also have the rib on the side of the fork.

The 1915 Peerless image on page 49 of the "Evolution of the Bicycle" book has the same chainring but the fork appears to be a block type without the layered pieces of the Mead fork.

So would Mead have made Peerless frames as Sears was headquartered in Chicago? Maybe the bike started as a Mead or Peerless and ended up with a Rollfast head badge glued on. When I do my final assembly I'll have to look for badge mounting holes on the inside of the headtube.

In my "Rollfast Bicycles" book it states that Snyder & Fisher began producing bicycles in 1895, and became H.P. Snyder Manufacturing Co. in 1899. Rollfast was the predominate nameplate originating from roller skates. They apparently would put any headbadge you wanted on their bikes for quantity purchases. It appears Peerless was one option as well.

Thanks to all for lots of clues, although the truth may never be known as to it's real origin. It may be just a collection of parts, Mead, Peerless, Rollfast or other manufacturers...and a few new things. Thanks for the compliments, I to like the bike, very anxious to ride it.:cool:

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$50.00
eBay Auction Picture
$225.00
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$800.00
eBay Auction Picture
$15.00