When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Gloria I saved

-

Barfbucket

Finally riding a big boys bike

C2276C81-001C-4252-A168-28D162C6C1C2.jpeg

DA4D0543-E961-432F-AA5C-BC875D657A47.jpeg

Very nice indeed! Love the details on this one. German Union ( I think) track pedals? Has the frame etc., Been re - nickel plated? Another great bike!

Very nice indeed! Love the details on this one. German Union ( I think) track pedals? Has the frame etc., Been re - nickel plated? Another great bike!
The hubs are NOS Campagnolo and they have the old logo, perhaps first generation. Block chain. It also has a Campagnolo bb. I bought the bike real cheap off eBay as a fixie and everything was shot. It was painted god awful green and yellow. The seller didn’t know it was a Gloria frame. The integrated headset races in the head tube were brindled and had been reamed and a modern headset was jury rigged upside down in it. The fork tube was bent. A large frame vintage track bike is rare. The frame was dented and not true so a frame builder put in a modern head tube, new rear track ends as the originals were worn out. I was happy he had a replacement pair the same as the originals. He took out the dents, put in a new fork tube and did a track alignment. It’s a Franken bike, but with period components. It’s fast. So I saved it and tried to make it as much like it might have looked originally. Too bad it was missing all the original components. But it’s a Gloria frame and it’s still being ridden.

I like it even more now ! Old track frames sure get a beating. Your description of the frame resurrection , parts sourced, etc, those are the things that gives the bike it's spirituality! My opinion, Your mileage may vary!!

I like it even more now ! Old track frames sure get a beating. Your description of the frame resurrection , parts sourced, etc, those are the things that gives the bike it's spirituality! My opinion, Your mileage may vary!!
Here is the green color that was on it when purchased, as well as the bent fork tube. By this stage I had removed the rattle can paint from the frame so I could see what I had. That ET tubing was the best back then.

-----

Thank you for all of this great information!

Interesting to learn that the tubing marque is TITANUS.

There was also a TITAN tubing marque of frankish origin during the interwar period and immediate postwar time. Have yet to learn of start/stop dates for it.

advert of MCMXXVII -

listed in brochure of MCMXXXVI -

-----

The Extrastaheorhr Titanus tubing was made in Italy. It was an early seamless tubing of German design. I did a lot of research but I can’t remember much about it. I think it was pretty early racing stuff. The frame has Italian bb. I don’t think it was made under franchise but rather by an Italian/German partnership, but manufactured in Italy. I don’t remember the name of the Italian company that made it. I think I did the research by finding info on the company, which might be defunct now. I don’t remember that either. You have to dig deep to find scant info. I’m not sure I remember that correctly though.

Last edited:
Back