When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Ladies Corvette Year?

-
The Schwinn bars were unmarked until 1965-6. As far as I know there are no other parts on these 50's bikes that are stamped to indicate what the actual year these were built. It's not that unusual for a Schwinn to be built 5 or 6 months after the serial number was stamped on the component. There was a late 70's or early 80's Schwinn posted here recently that had an 8 month lapse between the serial date and the head badge date.

this seat is not original to the bike?

20200223_153007.jpg

Ahhh, there you go. With a better photo showing the stitching really helps. Yes it is original. The material looked like the later vinyl to me in the first photo.

Here's the green verson.

1582500418248.png

i dont remember the 556/57 seat having rivits,here is an original 57

Last edited:
Here's a nice 56 that hatz4katz has for sale. Looks like these early 56's still had the chain guards that were used on the 55's. :eek:

1582504236760.png

How long did the short brace between the two front downtubes (on the women's frames) last? I thought those were gone after the first year or two.

Schwinn really went through some part changes on this model! My '57 was made in Oct '56, and memory says it had the seat the red '56 above has. Can't recall if it had a Schwinn tag. Obviously, some had the no rivet seat with the white edging, and a '58 I had came with the Mesinger seat with rivets, but no iconic 'S' until '59.

when are ppl goin to realize that if schwinn had a stock of parts left over from a previous year and the fit the next year they used em,does anyone really think good parts where scrapped?there are a big percentage of schwinn bikes that have some parts from previous years production,look at some phantoms,just saw a 53 serial number one with a no rivit seat

Back