When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Lobdell seat recovering

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tacochris

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I am making this thread separate from my build thread as Im sure someone else will have this question at some point.
I am in the process of rebuilding my 30's Shelby Traveler and this seat is the first Ive dealt with that is wrapped in this way. I want to make sure Im correct but the fabric appears to be sewn thru the metal flange underneath the seat and folded under. SO, that being said, would I just fold the pinch flange upward, sew the fabric thru the flange and pinch it back downward? Im probably overthinking it but wanted to ask you fine fellows since I know this is the fountain of all knowledge.

LOBDELL1.jpeg

LOBDELL2.jpeg

Sewn through metal?!!

Can I assume the stitches are also visible on the outside? My best guess is you would have to glue it in place to prevent it walking around, and then sew it by hand with a sewing awl and some really heavy thread. Maybe for shoe repair? Not sure what you mean by pinch flange. I can't wait to see how others would approach this.

Sewn through metal?!!

Can I assume the stitches are also visible on the outside? My best guess is you would have to glue it in place to prevent it walking around, and then sew it by hand with a sewing awl and some really heavy thread. Maybe for shoe repair? Not sure what you mean by pinch flange. I can't wait to see how others would approach this.
Yeah, in places where the fabric is gone, there is tiny holes every 1/4 inch or so for the fabric to be sewn into the flange. As far as showing thru the other side, if the flange was folded open, the stitch would show thru on the other side. Hard to show in the pic but the part the fabric is sewn to is a seperate piece from the outside pan so its stitched in and pinched underneath the pan (Im assuming) Basically the stitching isnt visible on the outside of the seat....

Lol! As simple as that sounds, the one thing that concerns me is the flange its sewn into folds around the outside of the seat pan and stops about a 1/4" up so its almost as if this piece of pinched metal is only maybe welded onto the outside pan or something. When I bend this flange upwards to sew on the cover, will it detach from the pan itself?

Tacochris:
Not sure, but I looks like your second picture shows welting that was sewn around the edge of the saddle covering. The construction may not be exactly the same but below are photos of a deconstructed saddle from a Flightliner. Pics show components from the bottom up 1) steel pan (repainted), 2) liner of leather or synthetic leather, 3) synthetic leather cover with fibrous padding, 4) welting. Soft components were sewn together with welting around the entire edge, which held the assembly to the pan. The last photo shows an intact saddle and a good view of the welting. Have fun!

Tacochris:
Not sure, but I looks like your second picture shows welting that was sewn around the edge of the saddle covering. The construction may not be exactly the same but below are photos of a deconstructed saddle from a Flightliner. Pics show components from the bottom up 1) steel pan (repainted), 2) liner of leather or synthetic leather, 3) synthetic leather cover with fibrous padding, 4) welting. Soft components were sewn together with welting around the entire edge, which held the assembly to the pan. The last photo shows an intact saddle and a good view of the welting. Have fun!
View attachment 1337617

View attachment 1337618

View attachment 1337620

View attachment 1337621

View attachment 1337622
Hey thanks for stepping up with info!
Mine is somewhat similar but the leather is actually sewn directly into the steel flange of the seat pan. I should have taken a closer pic of the pinch but in places where there is no fabric you can see a sew-hole in the steel pinch every 1/4 inch or so.
Im assuming it will go about how I can imagine it should but wanted to throw it out there,

Tacochris:
View attachment 1337617

View attachment 1337618

View attachment 1337620

View attachment 1337621

View attachment 1337622
Totally different on the Lobdell than this seat. V/r Shawn

Totally different on the Lobdell than this seat. V/r Shawn
Im probably greatly overthinking how this needs to be done but I was kinda hoping someone else had charted those waters before and had any experience-based advice to throw in before I jump in. Lol

I personally don't think this is a seat I would tackle. I had Bob U. do one of these for me early last year. Worth every penny of saved frustration! V/r Shawn

Back