When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early morning Pre-War Shelby Find!

-

tacochris

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Ive gotta say, its just when you think bikes like this arent around laying unfound anymore, they pop up in your own town!!
Found today after church, been hanging in a dusty cluttered garage for many years upside down above a survivor 69 Camaro buried in boxes (NFS)! Couldnt believe what rolled out of that garage and it was better than i expected!
Prewar Shelby Traveler, chrome rear rack, nice old brass horn and amazingly dry! Im used to rust and popped spokes and repaints but this thing is killer! Last pic shows 5 minutes of chrome polish!
Obviously the “sweetheart” sprocket, Schwinn grips and pedals are wrong.....but it makes up for that in the solidity of it! I may only correct the pedals and leave it as is, (minus a hub cleaning, new tubes and tires or course)
Pic time!

84D9F0F3-DFF3-4E02-842C-3F22BEC65002.jpeg

FED8EA4E-D1EB-416A-96D6-F2ACF4EDB383.jpeg

86CAC144-B5BB-4292-A74E-9065F1CC66F3.jpeg

89B4D053-9FB2-420F-870D-26DE11E2C689.jpeg

4C186F0B-7D0B-4273-A996-81B61491CAD2.jpeg

Cool Shelby. Sweetheart sprocket may be correct. Better pic? Crank arms may not be Shelby unless stamped "SMB", nor is the guard or rack or bars, but so what right? Clean it up and ride it!
Figures....i cant find a complete original bike to save my life. If its all mismatched then its been like that for a looooong time and im just gonna leave it like that. Already too busy trying to build some other projects....

I think MOST all the bikes of this vintage will have been changed one way or another. That's why Original and Unmolested is becoming so pricey . :poutingcat: Don't get frustrated ........There out there..............You just gotta be at the right place at the right time ! :) Have fun with your "New" Bike . Thanks for sharing it ;)

I think MOST all the bikes of this vintage will have been changed one way or another. That's why Original and Unmolested is becoming so pricey . :poutingcat: Don't get frustrated ........There out there..............You just gotta be at the right place at the right time ! :) Have fun with your "New" Bike . Thanks for sharing it ;)
I get really obsessed with originality but with this bike im just gonna change the 70’s pedals and leave it as is....kinda tells a story and its changed in a good way honestly. Lol
I own a handful of complete original survivor bikes but most are in forlorn “as found” condition. Ive found in alot of cases, originality usually happens when a bike is broken or damaged early on and then never touched again. Lol.

I get really obsessed with originality but with this bike im just gonna change the 70’s pedals and leave it as is....kinda tells a story and its changed in a good way honestly. Lol
I own a handful of complete original survivor bikes but most are in forlorn “as found” condition. Ive found in alot of cases, originality usually happens when a bike is broken or damaged early on and then never touched again. Lol.
Heck yeah I agree - I have seen a few bikes with easily fixed bent forks that got put away for years and therefore stayed in fantastic condition.

Back