When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EARLY MOTORCYCLE RIMS? Need help identifying these:

-

OC_Rolling_Art

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hey everybody,

Looking for some help identifying these rims if that is even possible. Looking to put them in the for sale section, I just don’t know what they are. I took these in trade in Southern Ca. about 15 years ago thinking they were a bit interesting. I believe these are early motorcycle rims (teens or ‘20’s?) that have some more contemporary hubs laced into them.

What I see:
  • Looks like a 26” wheel that accepted a tire larger than a 2.125” balloon, maybe a 26” x 3”.
  • Profile is a full 1” deep.
  • No flange or rolled lip so glue-on tires?
  • Look to be faded CAD plating or maybe even galvanized, with clear traces of very thin black pinstripes.
  • Width across rim is roughly 2 3/16ths of an inch.
  • Heavy duty spokes and front hubs installed, with rear hub from Mexico.
  • Didn’t measure thickness yet with a micrometer to determine what guage steel was used, but these wheels are heavy, stout.

What say you?

I appreciate your input and expertise!

Mike

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think these are motorcycle; maybe a Workman tricycle that once had solid shop tires or heavy duty pneumatics.

Cwc had the All American with 27" single tube tires in 1936 I believe, but they weren't this same cross section. Those were almost like a triple step.

I don't think these are motorcycle; maybe a Workman tricycle that once had solid shop tires or heavy duty pneumatics.
Thanks for your input Brant... while there are three wheels, the hubs are from the 70's-80's is my guess, and most trikes run off a center drive hub/axles for the rear with a drum brake in the front so I don't think these are three wheels from an adult trike.

Looking at just the rims, I am convinced they are much older, and were re-purposed.

Back