When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Multi Speed Hub Identification - Exploded Views

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Like many of you fine folk I am fascinated by the multi and variable speed hubs produced from the late 19th and early 20th century.

One caveat of my fascination is that it comes with a heavy dose of ignorance on my part, which leads me to this thread.

I would like to compile as many 'exploded view' images of early multi speed hubs showing the varying internal hardware setups for the purposes of future identification.

If you have a positively identified multi speed hub that you are up for dismantling for the sake of group-education those images would be welcomed but ideally this thread will be primarily populated with period advertisements, schematics, patent prints etc.

I will get it rolling with a couple from my digital archive:

First up-
Ca. 1905 "Standard" Two Speed hub
This hub uses a 'plunger' knuckle setup seemingly very similar to the style Sturmey Archer came to use.

1905 Standard Two Speed Coaster Brake Hub Internals .jpg

This ca. 1895 "Bi-Gear" hub is wild.
I have never seen a surviving example to know if those gears shown here are actually exposed or if there would have been some sort of dust cover as you would expect.
In the right context though this advert could at least help identify an otherwise unknown-unknown.

1895 Bi-Gear and Bloomer Suit.png

Back