When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Multi Speed Hub Identification - Exploded Views

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Screenshot_20220223-103607.png

Screenshot_20220223-104059.png

Ca. 1902 'Garrand' two speed components, a more crude explosion 'cut' than I wish it was but perhaps it will still come in handy one day.

View attachment 1564850
Can you specify the original source? from the german company NSU which is known by their motorcycles there is a visually similar hub from 1902. However, the function is different. It is a coaster brake which can be turned off but only one speed! . For this can not be found in Germany patents maybe there is a relationship.
By the way a very interesting thread!

DSC08508.JPG

Can you specify the original source? from the german company NSU which is known by their motorcycles there is a visually similar hub from 1902. However, the function is different. It is a coaster brake which can be turned off but only one speed! . For this can not be found in Germany patents maybe there is a relationship.
By the way a very interesting thread!

View attachment 1785576
I believe the Garrand illustration I posted was drawn from 'The Wheel and Cycling Trade Review'

Found another supposed two speed. No idea what it is.

View attachment 1585139

View attachment 1585140

View attachment 1585141
Barnegatbicycles,
If you look in Don Adam's book Collecting And Restoring Antique Bicycles (Paperback Edition) on page 71 Fig 4-43 you will see a photo of Jane Adams (Don's wife) riding an 1887 G&J Ideal high wheel bike that has a two speed freewheeling hub made by the Simmonds Gear Co. There is a gear change lever at the handlebars opposite the hand brake lever that activated a linkage much like you show down to the front wheel hub. I bet if you contacted Don he may have more information on this hub which may have progressed into what you have on a safety bicycle.
Mike Cates, CA.

Back