When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Postwar Continental Cleaned Up

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mbstude

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought this bike last month from a CABE member.. I had the itch for an early lightweight Schwinn, and a weekend project.. This bike filled the bill for both. I'm not sure of the exact year, but it has a tapered kickstand and a serial number that, from my understanding, is leftover from before WWII. The seller claimed he bought it 10-15 years ago from an estate sale, though it seems to have simply been stored since he purchased it. No idea when it was last ridden, but I'd guess it's been a few decades.

I'm not an expert, but it appears to be original and untouched, even down to the Schwinn script brake pads. I disassembled the bike to the bare frame, and was happy to find that it doesn't look like anything has ever been "messed" with. I replaced the tires and tubes, the bearings and cone on one side of the front hub, and left everything else alone. I scrubbed and waxed the paint, polished the chrome, coated the saddle with neatsfoot oil, and cleaned and repacked everything, from the rear hub to the Torrington pedals.. (I love how serviceable these old bikes are!) I used to make my living restoring stainless trim for old cars, so I couldn't resist knocking the dents out of the fenders and polishing them up a bit.

Overall, it went back together smoothly and I took it on its first ride this afternoon. I can't believe how well this bike rides.. I didn't know what to expect, since my other Schwinn bikes of this era have been a '51 Phantom and a '52 Panther (balloon tires with springer fronts). I'm impressed.. This old Continental goes great, feels solid, and is a blast to ride. The SA 3 speed works flawlessly. Overall, I'm very happy with it and I'm anxiously looking forward to adding a lot of miles to it. Thanks, ACE, for letting me give it a new home.

Oh, the one part that's missing is the rear fender reflector. I have a bolt with an acorn nut to fill the hole for now, for all you eagle eyes.

20160402_183906.jpg

20160402_183559.jpg

20160402_183718.jpg

20160402_184114.jpg

20160402_183947.jpg

20160402_183846.jpg

Yeah U suck B/C I want one too but got to many heavy bikes to consider for now. so, U suck big time too.

Need to post a picture of that chain wheel in the CABE sprocket compilation thread! Handle bar grips and kickstand are 1946 era for sure. NICE!

That early Conti is in beautiful shape! Nice choice for an early lightweight.

As far as dating the build period, I still think Schwinn used the same dating method on these as they did on the 60's and 70's high end lightweights.

(I) represents the month, September. During this period the I was not omitted. The 7 is the last digit of the year, so 1947, and the last three numbers indicate what # frame it was. So this Conti was the 452nd frame built in September 1947.

20160327_201802_1.jpg

That early Conti is in beautiful shape! Nice choice for an early lightweight.

As far as dating the build period, I still think Schwinn used the same dating method on these as they did on the 60's and 70's high end lightweights.

(I) represents the month, September. During this period the I was not omitted. The 7 is the last digit of the year, so 1947, and the last three numbers indicate what # frame it was. So this Conti was the 452nd frame built in September 1947.

Thanks for posting the serial number pic from the other thread! I initially thought it was a "K", but that pic was taken before I cleaned everything up.. It is an "I".

I was under the impression that the tapered kick stand makes it a '46.. But again, I'm not an expert. Your September '47 guesstimate may very well be correct.. It just dawned on me to check the rear hub.

20160402_184223.jpg

Back