When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early (PREWAR) Schwinn New World Lightweight Chain Guard Question??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Right. The plain, pre-war guards are similar to the balloon guards except they mount using a little different clamp system. After the war, they went to a brazed-on boss on the frame and another mounting system.

There's no single "correct" guard for a New World because they used several types - whatever the person buying it wanted. The plain hockey stick type, the feather type, and an art deco McCauley style (not sure if Schwinn or McCauley made it, but it looks a lot like a McCauley) all could be original. The pre-war bikes usually have the hockeystick style, just by numbers, but there are always exceptions with these bikes.

Think of the New World as a kind of "platform" where you could build a basic bicycle for an adult or a student for practical purposes like touring and commuting. That allowed shops and buyers to vary the parts used based on taste, function, and popularity at the time.

If you're having trouble with a slipping or twisting guard, try a piece of rubber rim strip or a strip of inner tube under the clamp for gripping. It also saves wear on the frame's paint under the clamp.

@SirMike1983 I like the inner tube idea. It reminds me of the piece on the Time Clock Bell we like.

The 1940 Parts Catalog shows several styles of the guards available to choose from and also shows the longer clip (#463).
1582815330544.png

1582815417590.png

Part numbers 631 and 684 at the bottom are listed as the Front Bracket parts for the New World. Part Number 684 is also the part number for the front clip listed near the top with drawing #463. o_O

No it was definitely made like that.

To answer the question - just bolt it on there. There really isn't a mystery to how it attaches, you just screw it in place. I don't really know what that extra length on the bracket does, but I will give it some thought. I have seen a few of these and they are always tucked under the guard like below. My initial thought is I agree with GT and it is stabilizing the guard. What is weird though, is why, because the mount to the frame is right there, what is there to stabilize...? I just went outside and took a pic of the inside of the guard on my NW '41.
View attachment 1146855
Thank you for your reply and especially the photo. Makes sense even the whole set up does not make a lot of sense. Flimsy sheetmetal. The extension stabilizes the guard. Schwinn had some experience with lightweights at this point and they were into common sense design but this is a quick fix. They eventually solved the problem and it worked for decades! Your bracket extension looks to be cad plated.

@SirMike1983 I like the inner tube idea. It reminds me of the piece on the Time Clock Bell we like.

The 1940 Parts Catalog shows several styles of the guards available to choose from and also shows the longer clip (#463).
View attachment 1146936
View attachment 1146937

Part numbers 631 and 684 at the bottom are listed as the Front Bracket parts for the New World. Part Number 684 is also the part number for the front clip listed near the top with drawing #463. o_O

View attachment 1146936
View attachment 1146937

Thanks! There it is in the parts catalog. Official. Did you notice that part number 463 is shared for two parts? Men's and women's. Women's is 1/8" longer! A Mystery! Why? Didn't they both have the same 6 1/2" chain ring? Might have made for some confusion during assembly........

Reactions: Miq
459 and 460 are the "art deco" ones I mentioned. I have no idea whether McCauley made them or whether Schwinn was copying a McCauley design. I've seen Westfields from the period that use them as well.

I have his / hers '41 NWs with the same guard type. Both have the smaller BB and superior AS & CO chainring. I also have a 41 that has the larger BB and regular ole clover chainring. It is in storage but I have a pic that I could kind of zoom in and noticed it has a different guard type and no extra length on bracket. OP has same AS & CO superior chainring setup and smaller BB. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Below is my 41 with larger BB.

Edit - I found a '39 with extended bracket, but clover style chainring (below - 2nd image).
Edit - here is also a '39 lincoln badged NW with same guard type as yours Miq. (3rd and 4th image)

View attachment 1146857
View attachment 1146858

View attachment 1146859View attachment 1146860
Thanks for your reply and photos. It helps. The last photo of the black bike shows another set up. The forward clamp is not held on with one screw and a tab instead of two screws. Easier to attach. No extension to stabilize the guard. Loose clamp part is cad plated. Nice bike!

459 and 460 are the "art deco" ones I mentioned. I have no idea whether McCauley made them or whether Schwinn was copying a McCauley design. I've seen Westfields from the period that use them as well.
Do youthink 459 and 460 were available on lightweights? Or is catalog page just showing Schwinn guards for that year?

Do youthink 459 and 460 were available on lightweights? Or is catalog page just showing Schwinn guards for that year?
Yes, available on lightweights.
1945-Schwinn-New-World.jpg

GT hates that site so another for backup
DSC02586.JPG

Also off @SirMike1983 site
20170327_185901.jpg

View attachment 1146961

View attachment 1146963

View attachment 1146964
View attachment 1146961

View attachment 1146963

View attachment 1146964
I guess they were available. Thanks for the photos. I like the Deco guard better than the normal Hockey Stick. Not going to change out for this bike. Enough of the ghosts have been let out by trying to resurrect it. I am building another one and might try to find deco guard for that. That first red bike has me wondering again. Those fenders and braces are not the normal ones. Bike looks to be original though. Tires look to be middleweight.

Back