When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Schwinn Continental Clubman?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hzqw2l

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Local Markeplace find.

The BAD:
Knew from photos that the brakes were replaced but took the chance rims might be original. Rims and brakes probably came from a 64 light weight since hub is dated 64.
Trigger shifter is later than the frame.

The GOOD:
Pencil taper stand.
Mint 40s saddle.
Nice 2pc deluxe stem.
Correct bars.
Early pat. Applied for Phillips pedals.

Early post war 5 digit serial with CM stamp.

Frame should clean up nicely.

I think the 5 digit SN makes it 46 to 48.

Not sure if CM really means clubman.

I couldn't pass it up at $300 since I really like the og black paint and decals.

Stem and saddle probably make it worthwhile to keep around and look for Era correct parts.

very cool bike. looks

like they left the original brake clips for "girls bike" style cable routing on the frame. black is my favorite color.

Schwinn stamped a mess of A + 5 serial numbers at the end of 1951.
These lightweights have had serial numbers that didn't follow the Balloon serial numbers since they were first introduced in 39. All the prewar numbers on the three piece crank models had a letter and 4 digits, where the one piece crank lightweights had the machined stamped numbers as the Balloon models since they shared the same BB shells that were all machine stamped prior to being used in frame building.

All the early post war three piece cranks shells were hand stamped until 1949 from what I've seen. Schwinn also ran about 3000+ machine stamped Tandem shells with the T00 numbers starting in 1949, and some of these were actually used building some of the lightweight models.

A good buy at $300 - the black is kind of unusual and it goes well with the chrome and the frame graphics. Schwinn Built brake levers and calipers tend to be somewhat expensive, but if you really keep on top of the usual websites, you should find parts at a decent price eventually. They do turn up, it just takes a little time and money. On the other hand, the Weinmann aluminum calipers and levers are also pretty well-made and lighter too. A set of properly set up Weinmann levers and calipers, with Kool Stop pads, actually does a pretty good job if you're riding the bike. My Schwinn Superior is a 1949 or 50 model and has a three-piece crank and "T" series serial number on the bottom bracket.

I think the CM stamp is most likely a crome moly tubing designation for production line use.
Probably allowed other mild steel lightweights to be part of a production sequence

Back