When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Schwinn Paramount Sports Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nataku

On Training Wheels
Hello all,

I recently came upon this old Schwinn bike in the basement of an old house that was being cleaned out. Took it home and cleaned it up. It cleaned up better than I had hoped, as it looked really rough when I pulled it out. Still, there is considerable paint damage, mainly on the down tube. It appears to be all original. Original Dunlop wheel rims. I found the front fender the following day not far from where I had found the bike, so I have that as well. I did some research, mostly from this site, which leads me to believe that this is a 1938/39 model (someone on here posted a very similar one of this year/vintage).

I have a couple questions. Does anyone know what this is worth? It sounds like it's a bit of a rare bird, from the few posts on here I've read about them. Another question is regarding tires. The current tires are in need of replacement. Any idea of something currently available that would be a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance. ''
IMG_0046.jpg

Wow!
Great find!
Can you post a picture showing the front of the headtube?
The shape of the lugs up front is a telltale of the first generation made frames.
It certainly looks like one from what I can see.
Nice original bike for sure!
Congrats!
P.S. Would like to buy, if your plans are to sell the bike.
Private message sent.
7/3/20
Thanks!
Marty

Last edited:
Don't mess with the tires. If you aren't the guy, then let the next guy deal with it.

Awesome bike and I agree it's a first gen Paramount Sports Tourist. Interestingly the front brake and both levers don't appear to be standard 38/39 issue though. Is the front caliper branded Schwinn or is it generic? My guess is it originally came with the rear dural drum as found and pictured here but likely with a Webb lever. Both levers, cables, and front caliper were probably added sometime 40+ when the owner realized it would be nice to actually stop the bicycle within a reasonable distance.

Any evidence of Webb brakes being mounted on the front fork?

IMG_7595.jpg
IMG_7597.jpg

Ahh!
That is a 1940/41 model.
The headtube lugs and the brake set are the telltale.
Thank you, for posting those additional photo’s.

Ahh!
That is a 1940/41 model.
The headtube lugs and the brake set are the telltale.
Thank you, for posting those additional photo’s.

You sure? That rear dural brake hub was not an option on the 40 Paramount Sports-Tourist, only separately via the parts catalog. The older obsolete part (rear hub) seems like the least likely to have been added after the sale, and that skinny lever/dural hub was definitely never a factory approved combo either. The 1940 Paramount Sports-Tourist is pictured with Webb brakes in the literature yet described generically as 2 rim brakes or coaster rear and front rim brake combo.

You know way more about these than I do, but is it possible they lugs were changed at some point before the 40 models? These early Paramounts seemed to follow their own schedule and rules to some extent. I love these bikes, I hope to find an original 22" Tourist or Sports Club model someday.

All Paramounts from the beginning could be custom ordered with the parts and tweaks that you wanted. If it was in the parts catalog or Schwinn knew where to buy it the bike could come with it. Roger

Yeah, that lug profile is the dead give away between the first generation and the second generation frames.
They kind of went mid year to mid year, so it’s possible that this one is a late 39, but it’s considered a 1940 model.
I’m not sure why the lug change.
Just the builders prerogative I guess.
There was an even earlier lug profile than mine, that looked more like what’s on the fork crown.
Super cool and unusual, but I’m not sure if that was ever used on any of the Sports Tourist frames.

Last edited:
Back