When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Schwinn S-6 Rims

-
@SJ_BIKER, looking at the thread @GTs58 posted above (from 2011) you mention you have a 1946 New World with stainless rims. Have you got any good pictures? I didn't see it on Miq's list.

The wheel set that was found on my 1950 Schwinn World. Project linked below.

Those Superior rims look similar to the pre-war Lobdell endrick style rims I've had on a couple of bikes. That simple, flat style with wide-set spoke holes seems to have been common in the late 1930s and early 1940s. The Lobdells had ink-type stamps inside indicating the type of tire that was intended.

Pretty common rim for prewar. Didn't Jim's 46 Continental have S-6's?
The rims on Jim's bike are S-6's, with pretty clear stampings. His bike was a big part of the motive behind this thread, along with the stainless rims. For the record, his pictures are in Post #76 of this thread:

Last edited:
Interesting, those look like they have both ladder tracks inside and knurling outside. Looks like a nice condition set of rims overall.
These wheels had the guts removed from the hubs and then went in the OA bath after the rest of the bike. The rebuilt hubs spin great but I will respoke when it comes time to use them.

Back