When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early sidestand info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
I picked this up on a whim just cuz it looked interesting. Is this an early Berry Cohen stand?

@cyclingday

The stand patented under this number looks a bit different than the one I have. Any info is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, All,

It is Berry, not Barry (though I can see how the confusion would occur, I guess he got used to it himself).

Patent US1984299 is the original side stand patent design you have found from 1933. The stand you have is an 'Improved' design. He has to stamp the previous patent number on it to protect the basic idea, otherwise someone might copy it and claim they did not know it was patented. He has also said there are new patents pending on the design. I am unable to download them, but the specific patents for this design seem to be application 259915 of December 1939 and Patent US2234859 of March 11 1941.

Here are all his patents

I would suggest the stand was made between the patent being applied for, and granted, so around 1940-41.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi, All,

It is Berry, not Barry (though I can see how the confusion would occur, I guess he got used to it himself).

Patent US1984299 is the original side stand patent design you have found from 1933. The stand you have is an 'Improved' design. He has to stamp the previous patent number on it to protect the basic idea, otherwise someone might copy it and claim they did not know it was patented. He has also said there are new patents pending on the design. I am unable to download them, but the specific patents for this design seem to be application 259915 of December 1939 and Patent US2234859 of March 11 1941.

Here are all his patents

I would suggest the stand was made between the patent being applied for, and granted, so around 1940-41.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Damn you're good!! Thank you @Mercian !

Interesting, by looking at the chassis, I would’ve guessed, Miller.
Somebody ripped somebody off, because that design is Miller all the way, except for the enclosed grease compartment.
Great work, @Mercian !
Man, actually reading that patent jargon is mind boggling!

Last edited:
Back