When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Solid Hard Tire Replacement. - Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cr250mark

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Looking to replace old Solid hard tires on sidewalk bike and tricycle .
I knew there was somebody out east but cannot find contact info.
Any info would be Great !!
Thanks
Mark

I replaced the hard rubber tires on a pedal car by placing them in boiling water for a few minutes. Softens them up considerably. Just make sure to wear gloves.

Hey Mark, hope to see you this spring at M.L...... I am about to replace a tire myself on a 1947 trike. I got the tire from Hank the Columbia guy. He said he broke 2 or 3 tires before he finally got one on successfully, so I am hesitant to do it, as I only have one tire and thus only one shot at it. It looks to me to be a new old stock tire. I would like to hear from others that have done this, if they have broken tires. I have never done this before.

Moderate success can be had with even the hardest tires if you heat them so hot that you can only handle them with a pair of welding gloves on.
That means heating them up in a microwave in steps . A few minutes to start with and then in successively shorter bursts , 20-30 + seconds or so depending on the size.
Try heating your old tire first to see how long it takes to make it rubbery .
I will recommend that if 2 tires are needed that you order 3 just in case one breaks.

I still have quite a few different sizes of semi pneumatic tires if needed.

And NO I will NOT put them on for you !

Moderate success can be had with even the hardest tires if you heat them so hot that you can only handle them with a pair of welding gloves on.
That means heating them up in a microwave in steps . A few minutes to start with and then in successively shorter bursts , 20-30 + seconds or so depending on the size.
Try heating your old tire first to see how long it takes to make it rubbery .
I will recommend that if 2 tires are needed that you order 3 just in case one breaks.

I still have quite a few different sizes of semi pneumatic tires if needed.

And NO I will NOT put them on for you !

What will it do to the wife's microwave? HER KITCHEN is sacred, and nothing bike related is allowed. Will it stink up the place? Iv'e ruined enough stuff around the house, over the years with my hobbies...tables, chairs, living room carpet, the hood of our car, the interior of our car.....

I used an steel oil drain pan and filled it with water,then put it on the gas BBQ until the water was boiling.the nest the tire in and let it sit for a while.tire popped on with a bit of resistance.definitely use gloves as mentioned.

Back