When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Straight Pull, Flangeless hub set. Likely Pierce or Stearns

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

locomotion

Cruisin' on my 1897 Comet
anyone have pictures of these exact hubs spoked to a wheel?
need to see the pattern and if possible approximate spoke lenght you have running on both the front and rear wheel
also a picture of the spoke head would be helpful so we can find spokes and modify them to fit in
front is 32 and rear is 36
thanks

flangeless hubs 1.jpeg

flangeless hubs 2.jpeg

flangeless hubs 3.jpeg

Hi Max
When I did my Pierce bikes i just put the hook for the spokes in a vice and flattened the end to make a T shape. then just put the spokes i side ways and turned them inline with the wheel and they worked fine. Just try an old spoke and you will see thats going to work.
Dave

That would depend on the 'ERD' calculation of whatever rims you're using, the hub dimensions and the spoking pattern being used.
Although you would have to calculate the 'flange diameter' of these hubs too; not too difficult to do I guess.

I often build wheels using antique wood racing rims and you may be surprised to know that they can vary in circumference by up to 1/2 inch or so.

This doesn't sound like much, but it can mean that spokes may not be quite the correct length on assembly if both front and rear hubs have the same flange sizes and 'OLD' dimensions.
This could result in spokes protruding through the top of the nipples; easily solved by filing down, but unnecessarily time consuming.

Does anyone happen to know what length is needed?
That would depend on the 'ERD' calculation of whatever rims you're using, the hub dimensions and the spoking pattern being used.
Although you would have to calculate the 'flange diameter' of these hubs too; not too difficult to do I guess.

I often build wheels using antique wood racing rims and you may be surprised to know that they can vary in circumference by up to 1/2 inch or so.

This doesn't sound like much, but it can mean that spokes may not be quite the correct length on assembly if both front and rear hubs have the same flange sizes and 'OLD' dimensions.
This could result in spokes protruding through the top of the nipples; easily solved by filing down, but unnecessarily time consuming.

Back