When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Two man tandems were offered in a variety of models from racing to roadster -
I recognize D&J cranks - I don't recognize the seatpost coupling that is left intact though it looks both have been bypassed by bolts.
Tough to ID but killer nonetheless

D&J advert showing their prowess with tandems etc

D&J Hangers with eccentric.jpg

@PlasticNerd going over the photos again I have a couple thoughts -
First before your buddy rides it too many more miles I think it has a set of larger diam. caged bearings in the lower headset race than it should so I fear the balls are not actually resting on a race. I've seen this same situation seemingly lead to broken steer tubes when I'm doing post mortem autopsies on 100 year old wrecks.

As far as the ID of the tandem I think the fork crown is going to be the best route to narrowing down the ID, I know I've seen it before but I need to go run my hands over some fork crowns to refresh my memory.
The cranksets will have sexy scripted dust covers if I am correct that they are D&J- If that is indeed the case they were available and adopted by many high grade bicycle builders so it would not be especially useful as an ID but def an indicator of top notch build quality originally.

Screenshot (958).png

So I ended up getting the tandem in a trade from a second guy!!! Soaked it in Kroil snd started disassembly. Any help with ID is appreciated. Here are a few pics so far. The cranks are D&J for sure, and the og color is maroon . Haven’t taken the cranks off yet, need to see if the threads are reverse or not.

Back