When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Wards Hawthorne 2speed ND original paint

-

fatbike

Enjoying my 37 Colson Commander
Picked this up yesterday at a farm house in the middle of Washington. It was a bicycle that belonged the gentleman’s father, the father use to ride the bike to school from the farm. It’s not a perfect bike, but amazed with how complete it is and not rusty. Lots of dust and some bird poop. I hosed it down gave it a light wipe down to start off with.

I haven’t dated it, assuming it’s probably 39-41 ish.

7B258B4D-9160-4C12-BC09-36E4827C75D2.jpeg

8BB94D68-7EB5-47AE-B514-00FB7DF4C6BB.jpeg

D37B4DF7-9F63-475F-8984-290A6F975C12.jpeg

FA0B0675-1A6E-4765-9631-759B829A1F7B.jpeg

1ADD56D7-26F5-4485-A676-5243968FABAB.jpeg

A679F7D1-487C-4D5B-A7DA-CC099BDEC226.jpeg

1EC4D3B3-7472-4708-9037-C9C103B35743.jpeg

97895DBF-FE6F-46A4-9096-84090AB99DA9.jpeg

98D1BEC8-1ECA-4AF8-8C75-13B40A3A2CC8.jpeg

Neat bike, really diggin that orange paint! Different setup on that front brake? Wonder how that hole happened in the handlebars? Those Hawthorne lightweights seem to be fairly rare, and yours is in such great condition! Congrats on your score!!

Neat bike, really diggin that orange paint! Different setup on that front brake? Wonder how that hole happened in the handlebars? Those Hawthorne lightweights seem to be fairly rare, and yours is in such great condition! Congrats on your score!!
The holes in bars, thought at first it was cable routing, then thought probably had a crossbar, identical mirroring wholes. Orange is a terrific color.

Didn’t see the second hole, bet you are right about the crossbar. One of the fun things, I think, about our hobby, is playing history detective and following clues to figure things out. Orange is especially cool at that time period because you see it so infrequently, I believe. Really pops too!

Didn’t see the second hole, bet you are right about the crossbar. One of the fun things, I think, about our hobby, is playing history detective and following clues to figure things out. Orange is especially cool at that time period because you see it so infrequently, I believe. Really pops too!
Agree.

Do you know who made it and the year? I'm guessing CWC built it, but that's mostly because CWC built a lot of Hawthornes. @99 bikes has a nice example of a CWC lightweight Hawthorne here, probably similar age range to yours:
Does your bike not have any rear axle stop screws? I don't think I've seen one like that before. And are there any markings on the rims?
Cool bike in any case, and the condition makes it a thing of beauty!

Last edited:
Do you know who made it and the year? I'm guessing CWC built it, but that's mostly because CWC built a lot of Hawthornes. @99 bikes has a nice example of a CWC lightweight Hawthorne here, probably similar age range to yours:
Does your bike not have any rear axle stop screws? I don't think I've seen one like that before. And are there any markings on the rims?
Cool bike in any case, and the condition makes it a thing of beauty!
I haven’t clarified the year, makes sense with CWC possible maker. It does not have screws, axle stops. I think so, it is. Unfortunately I needed to rob the 2 speed for my Dayton lightweight. And someone just bought the front brake. So now I’m interested in moving the rest.

The lack of wheel adjusters reminds me of this one that is Synder/Rollfast built: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1941-wards-hawthorne-litewate.190149/

Did you ever decide what to do with the bike? Your Dayton is great, but I'm sure it was a difficult decision knowing that this one for sure had the 2 speed wheel as original equipment (too bad about the front fender being cut off though). You could always switch them back later if you kept it (the rationale I use for having way too many bikes!).

Back