When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easy DIY New Departure Disc Setting Tool

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ricobike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This is a simple tool that I'm sure others have built, but since I didn't find any instructions for doing it, I decided to post this. What you need to make this tool is a short length of 3/4 inch tubing. I used some that I had bought for another project from Home Depot.

Cut the tubing to around 2 inches in length. It's best to use a tubing cutter if you have one to keep the edges perpendicular, but I'm sure you can make it work cutting it with any saw or grinding wheel. I chamfered the edges of mine with a grinder to allow it to set into the clutch sleeve a little better but this is also optional.

To use this tool, slide the tubing over the axle and tighten the adjusting cone from the hub onto the axle until it contacts the tubing. The adjusting cone should fit inside the tubing and center it. The other end will contact the clutch sleeve. Then you can align your discs and tighten the adjusting cone tightly onto the tubing so that the discs won't move.

Now slide the hub shell over the disc assembly. It should go on fairly easily since the discs will not move now.

Once the hub shell is in place, unscrew the adjusting cone and remove the tubing. It's that simple.

So if you can't find the official ND tool, here's a way you can get the same results with minimal effort. Enjoy :).

And for people who might not want to bother fabricating anything, check your toolbox for deep well sockets that might do the same thing. I found some 1/2" and 9/16" that would work. The biggest problem I found with them is that most of them were too long, but some did work.

This is a simple tool that I'm sure others have built, but since I didn't find any instructions for doing it, I decided to post this. What you need to make this tool is a short length of 3/4 inch tubing. I used some that I had bought for another project from Home Depot.
View attachment 1490390

Cut the tubing to around 2 inches in length. It's best to use a tubing cutter if you have one to keep the edges perpendicular, but I'm sure you can make it work cutting it with any saw or grinding wheel. I chamfered the edges of mine with a grinder to allow it to set into the clutch sleeve a little better but this is also optional.

View attachment 1490391

To use this tool, slide the tubing over the axle and tighten the adjusting cone from the hub onto the axle until it contacts the tubing. The adjusting cone should fit inside the tubing and center it. The other end will contact the clutch sleeve. Then you can align your discs and tighten the adjusting cone tightly onto the tubing so that the discs won't move.

View attachment 1490392

View attachment 1490395

Now slide the hub shell over the disc assembly. It should go on fairly easily since the discs will not move now.

View attachment 1490394

Once the hub shell is in place, unscrew the adjusting cone and remove the tubing. It's that simple.

View attachment 1490393

So if you can't find the official ND tool, here's a way you can get the same results with minimal
1633577094966.gif

Back