When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easy spray paint removal.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
NEVER USE GASOLINE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN RUNNING A MOTOR.

unless you enjoy pain, skin grafts and hospital bills. just bad advice, don't do it.

good god people are so stupid sometimes.

This is true. Whatever works and leaves as much original paint as possible should be used.

A lot depends on the pre-spray prep the person did before overspraying. Old paint, especially old baked-on paint will tend to be stable while the new paint won't adhere very well to it. I've had no luck with gasolene, kerosene or denatured alcohol when I tried to strip spray paint. I've had some luck with Xylene and MEK. Acetone will also work but is hard to control and will pull original paint. It also evaporates very quickly. I've had mixed luck with oven cleaner as well. Regular oven cleaner will work but, again is hard to control and will pull original paint. I've had no luck with environmentally-friendly oven cleaner at all.

The last time I did this, I pulled out a 1980s-era bottle of Tru-Value "Stripz 'Em" paint stripper and tried that. It worked very well and pulled spray paint with one wipe. It was like dusting the bike, but it was removing spray paint rather than dust - one wipe and it was back to original paint. Again, in this case there had been no real prep for the spray, so it worked out well. The stripper can and will absolutely pull original paint if you get too aggressive though. I have no idea if this stuff is still sold, but I wish I had tried it sooner because it seems the best of any approach I have tried. I put a tiny amount on a rag and start to act as if I am "dusting" the bike. It beats spraying stuff with oven cleaner and hoping I have not over estimated the pickling time.

I will add though that I tend to avoid bikes where this kind of work is needed in any great quantity. Stripping spray paint is one of my least favorite things.
I guess I love getting a deal and I'm up for a challenge. The next project is an evans I rescued from being lawn art until it rotted into the ground and got hauled off to the dumb

received_196369158162732.jpeg

received_1393030300906591.jpeg

received_1110962995934909.jpeg

received_1275011076341425.jpeg

20211024_191637.jpg

there was a guy on the Jalopy Journal who thought gas was some sort of cleaning solvent and paid the price.

he did not die, but at times I bet he wished he had.

gasoline is not "any other flammable substance".

do whatever you want, just don't do it around me.

there was a guy on the Jalopy Journal who thought gas was some sort of cleaning solvent and paid the price.

he did not die, but at times I bet he wished he had.

gasoline is not "any other flammable substance".

do whatever you want, just don't do it around me.
I don't see you around when I'm working buddy. When I use it I use a cup at a time in a well ventilated area. Unless my hands burst into flames miraculously Im not sure what could happen. I've been burnt before. If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Regular or premium?, I have used gas for cleaning and soaking parts for years, never saw a reason to throw away all that stale gas I drained out of cars.

Last edited:
Years ago, when everyone burned leaves in the fall, I had a big pile of damp leaves I couldn't get lit. So I grabbed the mower gas can and dribbled some gasoline over the pile. When I tried my Zippo - the flint was gone. So I walked into the house. Grabbed some matches. Walked back out (giving the gasoline less than a minute to start vaporizing). The explosion threw me up in the air...I landed on my back ten feet away. Burned off my eyebrows and eyelashes. Later on, I read that one cup of vaporized gasoline has the explosive force of three sticks of dynamite. Was I careless? Sure. Am I very respectful of anything like gasoline since? You bet. No criticism of anyone, for using it to clean stuff. In liquid form, it works great. In vaporized form, you go boom.

Back