When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easy spray paint removal.

-
I use Enamel reducer works Awsome. Use in a well ventilated area and rub a wet Rag over the spot your worming on gentaly. Will leave the original paint and pin stripes alone.
First off I will do gasoline or enamel reducer to remove spray paint. I worked with a lot of dangerous chemicals in the last 48 years. They are only dangerous when you do not take proper precautions.
Thumbs up to both these suggestions, as long as you are careful!

What, no comments about how dangerous this is?
I worked in a body shop in the early 1980s. This chemical on rags is highly flammable!

NEVER USE GASOLINE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN RUNNING A MOTOR.

unless you enjoy pain, skin grafts and hospital bills. just bad advice, don't do it.

good god people are so stupid sometimes.
Oh, really? Are you claiming paint stripper, Acetone, Xylene, Enamel Reducer, etc are any safer?

Sure, there are people who are careless or uneducated enough to boil gasoline on their gas range to clean carb parts. A certain percentage of the population is that ignorant.

Using any of those chemicals while smoking is not the best idea either. Flammability aside, I had a friend that was a painter at the body shop I worked at who sprayed Enamel paints in the 1980s while chain smoking. He never once caused a fire.
He did, however die at 48 years old from combining the Enamel reducer and cigarette smoke in his lungs half his life. He was 2 years older than I was when he died.

Anything is dangerous when someone with no common sense does it. The people who did this all seemed to be taking proper precautions.

It is thinking like this that allowed the Consumer Product Safety Commission into my home, shed and garage in 1973 to start taking the good cleaners away, along with my Stik Shifters on my bikes since they couldn't be sold anymore.

Sorry, but I took that comment kinda personal.
Rob

Years ago, when everyone burned leaves in the fall, I had a big pile of damp leaves I couldn't get lit. So I grabbed the mower gas can and dribbled some gasoline over the pile. When I tried my Zippo - the flint was gone. So I walked into the house. Grabbed some matches. Walked back out (giving the gasoline less than a minute to start vaporizing). The explosion threw me up in the air...I landed on my back ten feet away. Burned off my eyebrows and eyelashes. Later on, I read that one cup of vaporized gasoline has the explosive force of three sticks of dynamite. Was I careless? Sure. Am I very respectful of anything like gasoline since? You bet. No criticism of anyone, for using it to clean stuff. In liquid form, it works great. In vaporized form, you go boom.
Normally that type of reaction would require the vapors to be contained. Vapors in open air can be highly flammable, but rarely if ever explosive to that point.
If that happened to you it must've been extremely high octane gas that was partially contained somehow. I am glad you made it with only a little singing and soreness.

I have seen and been part of situations like this probably 100+ times in my life. One time of all of those situations I saw someone get hurt and it was his own stupidity combined with way too much alcohol that caused it, not the gasoline.
He was trying to light a bonfire, and poured a can of gas on the wood. Apparently he also poured some of it on his coat sleeve, because when he flicked his Bic his coat caught on fire and he got some first and second degree burns, but nothing requiring hospitalization or skin grafts.
When he threw his coat off it landed on the logs, igniting them without any explosion, just the whoosh you hear when igniting Charcoal Starter amplified at least 10 times. He was the only injury from the incident.
If he would've used that much Charcoal Starter he would've had the same results.
I stand on my belief that anything used carelessly can result in terrible consequences, but the danger is reduced to a minimum with care and common sense.

Back