When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay 1964 "mystery" Schwinn Continental

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DrRumack80

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Seller claims this is an October '64 Continental, all original. Has the early Continental "Armor" decals, which I thought were gone by '64. Large diameter seatpost rules out an EF frame, plus it has a cotterless crankset / European bottom bracket shell. Is this a Schwinn fillet brazed frame? I thought the seatstays were normally pointed. It does have a built-in kickstand. The fork looks like a Schwinn New World. Also appears to have a chainguard bracket. Genuinely perplexed here!

Is this a genuine factory article or a Frankenbike? Apologies if this bike has been discussed before

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600b.jpg

s-l1600c.jpg

s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600e.jpg

Definitely a Frankenbike.
Fork crown is from the 50s.
Frame probably is 46 thru 50s as well with that BB. Stays to drop outs are pretty odd though.
Downtube shifters are clamp on.....and dare I say it, nothing else looks Schwinn of that era... except the seat clamp, post and headset.
The powder blue paint wasn't offered on standard issue bikes until the 70s, maybe offered on Paramount's before then, but this isn't claiming to be a Paramount.
Either way, the bike should also still have a round badge and not the oval.

Agreed on the 3 speed Continental convversion. Good point on the round badge. Bike is completely misrepresented, but an interesting custom creation. The price tag is way out of touch with reality.

I you look real close at the edges of the decals, it appears to be a respray. More evidence of a frankenbike. Some of those old parts could have been valuable to someone who may own the correct frame and needed them. And wouldn't a 64 continental have the bar type shift on the seat tube for the front derailluer?

I you look real close at the edges of the decals, it appears to be a respray. More evidence of a frankenbike. Some of those old parts could have been valuable to someone who may own the correct frame and needed them. And wouldn't a 64 continental have the bar type shift on the seat tube for the front derailluer?
A 64 had the shift levers on the down tube to brazed on mounts.

Last edited:
It's actually a better quality bike than a stock '64 Continental, but collectors generally frown on frankenbikes, so it suffers in that regard. The re-paint and custom work done should be closely inspected, but a 1940s Continental frame is a good piece to build from.

First year 1960 Continental derailleur 10 speed with knight decals from earlier 3 speed Continental model,
one brazed on down tube shifter and seat tube bar shifter for front derailleur.
1960 Continental.png

Back