When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay's 2014 Peewee Herman's $36,000 bike sale was a fraud!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This is interesting, the bike that sold on ebay for: $36,600, 4 years ago as "authentic" looks like a fraud.

IDK maybe this has been covered previously? Or not?

I'd just noticed somebody wondering about this bike and took a browse on the net, only to discover there's so many fakes out there and for $8-36 grand peps say anything. .

Here's a blog or news release of the auctioned bike 1 day after sale ended 2014.
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Pee-wee-Herman-Bike-Sells-Auction-42016.html

The You tube clip of the sceen in movie.

This $36,000 bike is NOT the same bike as in the movie. It has a different chain guard chromed inset and it's not 'exactly' the same guard too. See where the crank is on fake verses real" the fake has wider opening over the gear. , different seat with short springs , even the fork is painted differently. The auction fork has a straight, wide, triangle while Peewee's fork dart has a chevron at top and long narrow tip.
peewee_herman_bicyclespoke.png

Plus Peewee's has an extra red bracket attached to the top right side of fork for old generator , not in that auction. and some kind of configuration, contraption, of an up-side-down break handle attached (in the movie) to the top left handlebar with red cable both, are not in that auction. . The spiral on front wheel is half red/white, verses mostly white. the rear 'thing-a-ma-jig' rack, red top is flat verses slight oval . The attached rear saddle compartment's chromed ornamentation is not at all the same. I'm sure there's more to discover how wrong this bike is but, just the above list is plenty enough.

As I actually built several props during my career in movie and stage, you may find slight differences as movies may require multiple or duplicates during the shoot but, NOT LIKE THIS POS!! If you did? Then, the director would have to have been a complete and total IDIOT to let so many mistakes go by.

So much wrong, it appears, whoever bought it was scammed, major big time.

Ebay fake bike:
1a309d243234ad1c9ad91b6c956ee59076d36b6156d3fe7f36dca3b223bd3624.jpg

Actual bike in movie:

pee-wee-bike.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember this being discussed back then.
There are a few members here with quite a bit of knowledge about the making of the various movie prop bikes.
Unfortunately, as with all iconic things, there have been numerous recreations over the years, and without iron clad corroboration, you probably shouldn't be paying $36,000 dollars for something that looks so hokey.

I remember during this auction, that the sellers only corroborating provenance, was a photograph of Paul Rubens signing a publicity shot.
All that proved, was that the photograph was indeed signed by Paul Rubens.
Not that the bike was an authentic used in the film movie prop.
It's too bad Gertrude isn't still around, because it would be interesting to hear what she had to say about this bike.

"There were several different bikes made for the movie. If you pay close attention you can see variations threw out the movie."

Variations, I noticed, mostly though; it's the addition of the fin on rear.

hqdefault.jpg

Yet, property master's ( the folks who make 'Props') are fricken anal about details or making spares. I get it that the director may have wanted the shark fin on rear for the park scene. (It's not on it in bike clip) Although, I don't think I ever saw the movie except for the bits availed on you tube. But still, bike on auction is seriously different, I doubt there's a chance in H that bike was in the movie.

At best? it's a crappy replica made after the movie by an advertiser.

Last edited:
Back