When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ebikes ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Does anybody have any good info about ebikes ? ANy pros or cons.Some of us old guys may be interested in a little help with the old joints. Any good brands,etc. Are kits the way to go ? Does anybody even own one ?lol

I really like my Cheetah by civi bikes. Its quicker and faster than I thought it would be and will go around 50 miles with the bigger battery. I had a bike shop put a motor on this harley davidson bicycle. I liked it so much they are building another harley for me that is NIB from 1998. I love these 2 e bikes. My 74 year old brother came down and rode with me for the first time. Never rode as kids because of our age difference, and probably wouldn't without the help of a motor nowadays.

-----

rentals are all over the place in the San Francisco area. just sitting out on street corners waiting for customers.

someone dumped a stolen one next to my home. they had covered all the names up with duct tape. was able to find the name and telephone number for the owner on the backside of a partial fairing it wore. called them up and they came out and collected the widget.

its a bit disconcerting when people dump stolen property on one's premises...

they are not universally hailed. some communities have put up something called "geo fencing" to render them in operable. we had a discussion thread on this here at the forum a few months back.

-----

-----

Last edited:
My wife bought an Electra Townie/Bosch Active Assist.
She loves it, as do I, because now when we go for a ride together, I can draft behind her, and she paces me into the wind.
I was skeptical of it at first, but it is a high quality machine, and makes riding more fun for her.
So from what I’ve seen, I can highly recommend that particular electric assist bike.

Last edited:
I haven't rode 1 but I hear the 48v kits can usually hit up to like 35 mph and somewhere around 50 miles if not up hilly areas or steep inclines. I see they are capable of spinning tires so I would assume they have some torque and being a 160 lbs or so I imagine an aluminum bike base would haul some butt pretty quickly. I have seen both wheels powered as well & still retain pedal power

Thanks @ tripple3, I have to say that I'm hooked on them. First of all these old frames are super sturdy & can handle any bike motors. I've been using Clean Republic Hilltopper out of Seattle for my 250, 350 watt hub motors. Luna cycles, California for the more powerful mid drives 750 watt +. They have taken me where I never could have gone w/out them. Not a huge amount of modification involved, you can pretty much just slap on a 250 @ go. 350's need torque arms, you can modify truss rods to do the job. Karl Gesslein has an excellent ElectricBike-Blog.com, you can get a lot of great intel. from that. A simple formula for figuring some of this is volts x amps.= watts. Here are some of mine, the photo above is my 1938 Firestone Colson w/ 750 watt mid drive unit which is the most powerful that you can legally ride on the road w/out a license. Below 1941 Goodyear 250 watt, batteries & controller in the tank. 1918 H.D. ? 350 watt, controller in the tank, three 12 volt batteries in the box.

30707770_150854722416214_982325910415867904_o.jpg

DSCN1739.JPG

Last edited:
I was the national sales rep for IZIP and eZip ebikes years ago.

They offer some huge benefits.
If you are investing in one for regular use, I suggest a center drive, purpose built bike.
Better weight distribution, better torque to weight ratio.

If buy a kit, I really suggest a rear drive unit (vs a front wheel).
Think of going into a turn on wet or slippery surface under power.......

Rent or demo a couple different models.

Many metro area( may some day soon) have ebike expo's to see a lot of different options in one place
(Minneapolis has/had one for a number of years)

Inexpensive Chinese products are just that.
Off brand stuff can be hard to service and find repair parts for.

The money is still in the batteries, with 60% or more of the cost there.

rusty

Last edited:
Where do you get the batteries ?
Also is the amps of each battery different for each wattage motor? In order to get more ride time . I’m assuming more voltage means more speed ? Or is the battery one size fits all. How do the battery company’s ship ? I’m assuming they are Lipo battery’s ? I see kits online but I really don’t see the battery’s offered ? I haven’t really shopped around much yet though. And I’m assuming they have restrictions on shippping the battery’s . Who makes the best kit with everything included? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Currently out of stock . Check your LBS.
20200606_104107.jpg

Back