When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eclipse - Morrow Rear Hub

-

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm overhauling a recently acquired 1936 Davega-Westfield. The front hub is a New Departure. The rear hub has a Morrow brake arm, but upon removal of the rotting leather hub polisher, I found the hub shell stamped with Eclipse Machine. What is the relationship, if any, between the two companies? Are Morrow parts (e.g. clutch rings, brake sleeve, brake sleeve expander) generally compatible with this hub?

IMAG0545.jpg

Last edited:
Eclipse Machine is the manufacturer of the Morrow hubs , everyone I've ever seen is stamped that way
Herman, that's good to know, and I regret having to ask the obvious. A big part of the fun of this hobby is learning the histories of these old companies. This is my first Morrow hub overhaul and I had already purchased NOS clutch rings and sleeve expander. I appreciate your help with this piece of the puzzle. Now let's see if I can't get her braking and engaging a little better.....and how those spokes come out of an Evaporust bath!

Here’s some help I’ve found here.
kreika, fantastic stuff! I think it will come in handy when time to reassemble. I took it apart today the could not remove the small pins that maintain the expanders in the brake sleeve. I had another Morrow publication that instructs to simply pull them out with pliers, while your instructions here say to grab them with cutters. Not happening with mine. Maybe 82 years has seized them up. Any suggestions for getting them out?

kreika, fantastic stuff! I think it will come in handy when time to reassemble. I took it apart today the could not remove the small pins that maintain the expanders in the brake sleeve. I had another Morrow publication that instructs to simply pull them out with pliers, while your instructions here say to grab them with cutters. Not happening with mine. Maybe 82 years has seized them up. Any suggestions for getting them out?
Place a flat head screwdriver in the slot of the pin and carefully turn it to expand the slot. You should be able to slide the expander ring assembly out on one side. Repeat on the other side.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Eclipse Machine is the manufacturer of the Morrow hubs , everyone I've ever seen is stamped that way

The same was true for me until recently. Please see the Morrow marked hub belonging to Blackcat in Post 15 here:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-collection-ww2-g519-military-bikes.128550/

With the green paint and US stamping it is apparently military, but both WW1 and WW2 military bikes have the standard markings for the era on their hubs.

Does anyone know why this one is marked Morrow, and is undated and does not have a spoke number/size indication? Is it a rebuild, using a spare shell from military stock? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Adrian

20180403_120410-jpg.jpg
20180403_120418-jpg.jpg
20180403_120644-jpg.jpg
20180403_120528-jpg.jpg
20180403_120509-jpg.jpg

This is just a guess , but since that hub was found in France I'm wondering if Eclipse didn't start marking some of their hubs that way that were intended for European use to eliminate any possible confusion

What you have here is the last year of production of the Morrow Hub. It has a date code of U3 which makes it a 1952 hub produced in the 3rd Quarter of the year (July - September). The Eclipse Machine Company was taken over by Bendix Corp so they probably only stamped Morrow on it. I have a NOS Chrome replacement hub with the same markings.

It also looks like the hub size 36 - ? Is stamped after the Elmira NY stamp.

Boz

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back