When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eiffel Tower or Giraffe Safety Bicycle

-

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
This large late 19th/early 20th century gelatin silver-print photograph just arrived this week. If anyone can identify the rider and the maker of the bicycle I would greatly appreciate it. My research has revealed a French bicyclist, Leon Lyon, travalled to in in 1894 England to have one built, all to win a bet and contest. Reference Robert Cobcroft's article "The History of Tall Bikes" for more information:
This design of the "Eiffel Tower" bicycle in my photograph conforms with the period illustration in Cobcroft's article. The author doesn't source the illustration in the article to identify if it on Leon Lyon or possibly a 19th bicycle lamp-lighter.
Colin Kirsch @Wing Your Heel has information on this website showing an 1898 Humber advertisement showing a very similar but different frame design. Humber apparently was made some of these wheels on special order for businesses to use a promotional/trade stimulation tools. https://oldbike.eu/1970s-tall-bike-with-sidecar/

The auction (where I bought the image) identified the photo a Humber advertising piece as well, can anyone confirm this?

Kind thanks, Brant

AB1F5274-B0CD-4BCD-A26C-B3495A91B943.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that you Mike? I see tall old palm trees, could this be Pasadena in the 80s?

Is that you Mike? I see tall old palm trees, could this be Pasadena in the 80s?

No, that was the late great Steve Gordon. It was shot in Pasadena for the Guinness book. I think it was ‘84. This is the builder Dave Moore and me on the second and last ride of its life for a Guinness TV special. It’s a 10 foot diameter wheel. It is now yard art in Apple Valley, CA

Here is a page with some good information including advertisements. Its hard to tell but the picture you purchased @New Mexico Brant looks to have a second crank set by the back wheel? I used to build and ride tall bikes many years ago. The best part is rolling up to a red light and resting your hand or foot on a city bus while waiting for a green!
http://www.johnnypayphone.net/tallbikes/

lamplighter-bike.jpg

Back