When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

El Torreon Tribal Gathering and Bicycle Swap Meet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I hate to say it, but I won't be going to the El Torreon Swap Meet this year. Given how little I sold/traded at Pleasant Hill, and how short on funds I am right now, now's just not the best time for me to make the long drive up to Kansas City. Maybe next year.
Let me know if there is anything in particular that you’re looking for and I’ll keep an eye out for it. Send me a PM with your cell phone number so I can text you a picture and price.

I broke down and spent $20 on a matching Westwind tire. Then I decided that I liked the bike enough that I’m going to disassemble it and repaint it, which will also require a new chain guard decal.

I found a DuPont special mix green that is a 95% match for the Campus Green. To be 100% true to the 1969 stamping on the dropout, I should find a mag wheel chainring to replace the clover leaf that was in my parts pile. I’ll have to see what’s available at El Torreón. In the attached picture you can see where I sprayed a section of the unpainted fork. It will look fine unless it’s sitting right next to an original bike that’s never seen sunlight.

Let me know if there is anything in particular that you’re looking for and I’ll keep an eye out for it. Send me a PM with your cell phone number so I can text you a picture and price.

I broke down and spent $20 on a matching Westwind tire. Then I decided that I liked the bike enough that I’m going to disassemble it and repaint it, which will also require a new chain guard decal.

I found a DuPont special mix green that is a 95% match for the Campus Green. To be 100% true to the 1969 stamping on the dropout, I should find a mag wheel chainring to replace the clover leaf that was in my parts pile. I’ll have to see what’s available at El Torreón. In the attached picture you can see where I sprayed a section of the unpainted fork. It will look fine unless it’s sitting right next to an original bike that’s never seen sunlight.

View attachment 1495827
Thanks! Will do!

Nice! Are you going to start a build thread for that Schwinn? It'd be cool to see the restoration process.

I've been tinkering with that Western Flyer Newsboy Special since I brought it home from Buddy's Pedal Fest, too. Here's what it looks like now:

It's just a rough mockup, but I really love the stance on it. It makes me think of a funny car, with the aggressive nose-down attitude and the angle of the straight bars. I call it "Bad News," though I sometimes call it "The Bad News Special." What do you think?

Not really a build, I’ll just be repainting it. I do have a 58 Schwinn Starlet on which I stared a thread. I haven’t done much to it lately because the weather hasn’t been so hot that I couldn’t work on my car. Two cars I’m messing with and three bikes. Sometimes it gets to the point I don’t know which one to work on, so I don’t do anything. Worked on fitting all the pipes on my 64 Riviera’s exhaust system only to find out that one of the studs in the exhaust manifold doesn’t tighten, the stud spins in the hole. Took another manifold off the shelf and found the studs buggered up. Can’t get those out. Put it all away and drank a couple of beers. Deal with it again tomorrow.

Not really a build, I’ll just be repainting it. I do have a 58 Schwinn Starlet on which I stared a thread. I haven’t done much to it lately because the weather hasn’t been so hot that I couldn’t work on my car. Two cars I’m messing with and three bikes. Sometimes it gets to the point I don’t know which one to work on, so I don’t do anything. Worked on fitting all the pipes on my 64 Riviera’s exhaust system only to find out that one of the studs in the exhaust manifold doesn’t tighten, the stud spins in the hole. Took another manifold off the shelf and found the studs buggered up. Can’t get those out. Put it all away and drank a couple of beers. Deal with it again tomorrow.
Well still, it'd at least be cool to see a before and after of it. Got a link to your Starlet build thread? I need to be taking full advantage of the weather and work on getting as much done on my bikes as I can. I remember you talking about your Riviera, but what's the other car you're working on? That whole "I don't know which to work on, so I don't do anything" is painfully relatable for me. Well, I hope you're able to get your exhaust manifold figured out. Those Rivieras are really nice cars. Got a picture of yours? I'd love to see it.

A 64 Riviera body on chassis in the garage, boxes of parts on the shelves. A 1990 Riviera that has some electrical gremlins. And a 1963 Riviera, which I bought in 1982 and was my daily driver for 15 years, and a 1965 Riviera Gran Sport, another body on chassis with boxes and shelves full of parts. Both of these cars are in a friend’s warehouse about 75 miles south of home.

A 64 Riviera body on chassis in the garage, boxes of parts on the shelves. A 1990 Riviera that has some electrical gremlins. And a 1963 Riviera, which I bought in 1982 and was my daily driver for 15 years, and a 1965 Riviera Gran Sport, another body on chassis with boxes and shelves full of parts. Both of these cars are in a friend’s warehouse about 75 miles south of home.
Hmmmm... I'm having a hard time guessing what your favorite make and model of car is. Care to tell me? 😆

Seriously though, sounds like you've got some neat projects to work on! I need to start saving money so I can get my '64 Mercury Comet up and running again.

My avatar handle might be a clue. Throughout the years, I’ve owned 19 of them, this includes a few that I bought as parts cars.

My best friend in high school graduated in 1964. His dad bought him a 1965 Comet Caiente when they came out to drive to college. It had the 271 hp 289 engine With automatic transmission. White with a black vinyl top and black bucket seat. Quite the chick magnet.

My avatar handle might be a clue. Throughout the years, I’ve owned 19 of them, this includes a few that I bought as parts cars.

My best friend in high school graduated in 1964. His dad bought him a 1965 Comet Caiente when they came out to drive to college. It had the 271 hp 289 engine With automatic transmission. White with a black vinyl top and black bucket seat. Quite the chick magnet.
Hahaha, yeah, I just now noticed that! Those Rivieras are nice. I don't blame you for owning so many of them.

Sweet! Mine's the model just under the Caliente, the 404. It's got the original 260 V8 with a 3-speed "Merc-o-matic" transmission sitting under the hood. I've driven it to college numerous times!

I hate to say it, but I won't be going to the El Torreon Swap Meet this year. Given how little I sold/traded at Pleasant Hill, and how short on funds I am right now, now's just not the best time for me to make the long drive up to Kansas City. Maybe next year.
I just got back. Nothing really for the antique and vintage collector. Lots of stuff for Lance Lycra though. I did find a pair of black men's Schwiin grips or $5 and a two beam tea cup headlight for $5.

Back