When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric bike (sorta) help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am building this (see below). Would a 1000w front hub motor work? I will only be traveling on flat pavement and do not need to go fast. Thanks in advance

5D201563-B98E-42DB-8DEE-353604DF53AB.jpeg

5D6361C1-5B83-4BE7-A80F-AEE7EB1B559F.jpeg

Worth a try. I’d go through the rear hubs and add fresh grease making sure they’re spinning smoothly. Adding new tires that will handle 60psi will help big time too. Good luck

Would be a shame to screw that old bike up.
Find a engine that is close to the era of that bike.
Have it rebuilt, and clean out your original gas tank.
That is a great find!
If you want a "front drive" I will trade you a Velo Solex.
To me you have one of the best bikes I have seen on The Cabe!

Thank you to all who have commented. Just to be clear this is a new build and I am building it from scratch and will use electric power. The original was built in the 30's and used gas power, I would still love input about the electric components to make it work. Thanks in advance

Thank you to all who have commented. Just to be clear this is a new build and I am building it from scratch and will use electric power. The original was built in the 30's and used gas power, I would still love input about the electric components to make it work. Thanks in advance
Ok.. I thought you were "Restoring" / Building it. Thanks for the clarification.

With that much weight, your battery life is what to consider.

While a battery might be rated to provide 30-40 miles per charge, that is
most likely calculated for a bicycle and rider less than 300 lbs., rider at 225
and a bicycle under 75 lbs.

Since it would take a lot of torque(higher torque will result in fast battery
discharge) to drive a vehicle of this weight, I am thinking battery life might
be as low as 5-10 miles per charge(at best).

Add a second rider (even a child under 50lbs) and who know how far a
charge will take you.

Just thinking......

rusty

In a perfect world 1000W is equal to a little under 1.5 hp. If it doesn’t need to go fast, that might be fine. Bigger battery is always better for range and it looks like you will have space for it. The trade off is in cost.

E motors have a ton of torque even at very low rpm. Most of the energy is expended getting the vehicle and its weight moving. Once you are rolling, it is mostly about rolling resistance not weight, and as you get higher in speed, air resistance.

Back