When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Bicycle - Can you tell me what I have?

-

rwilder

On Training Wheels
Hello - I am a first time poster so please be kind if I mess up. I have had this Elgin bike in my basement for over 20 years and in my parents for long before that. People who see it think it is pretty interesting and definitely old. I could use help on the following:

- Can anyone tell me what model and age the bike is?
- Is it worth restoring or keep it as is?

It is a complete bile with the exception of missing the headlamp. I really appreciate it.

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a Murray built for Sears. Turn it over and look at the Bottom Bracket (the big round thing in which the pedals turn) and see if there is not some sort of Alpha-numeric code stamped into the BB. Take a picture and post it. Based on the style of head badge, it's got to be a 36 or later.

Looks like a Murray built for Sears. Turn it over and look at the Bottom Bracket (the big round thing in which the pedals turn) and see if there is not some sort of Alpha-numeric code stamped into the BB. Take a picture and post it. Based on the style of head badge, it's got to be a 36 or later.

Actually that's a Westfield Columbia built version.

No need to restore! The paint just needs a good cleaning. If you want to ride it, the bearings in the hubs and crank could be cleaned and regreased, new inner tubes, some lube on the chain. You could have the handlebar rechromed but many people like the "patina" look, and if it's all shiny it may look out of place with the rest of the bike. Nice bike, welcome to the hobby!

This is a great find and a very cool bike....I bet anyone on this site would enjoy having it. Straighten the rack, Service it, give it a Bath and Wax, Tires, Tubes and then it's off for a ride! In my opinion, as complete as this original bike is, this bike is a keeper!

BART

Westfield built so a serial number would confirm but I would guess this is a late 1941. They started enameling the truss rods in the late prewar period. Also painted rims. More deluxe bikes like this one would have typically come with chrome rims, but during the ramp-up to WWII, painted parts started becoming more commonplace as metal materials were being conserved for the war effort.

Definitely leave as is with just a solid cleanup and grease.

Back